Bluetooth Cell Phone, The Internet And Sprint Pcs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
I'm getting a new cell phone tomorrow, thinking about getting a bluetooth phone. Can i hook up my powerbook to the bluetooth phone and get my email and use my powerbook through my cell connection? Is it hard to set up a connection? What else can i do besides check my email with the bluetooth?

E

embries

Sprint does not have a phone that can serve as your modem via bluetooth. You have to connect it via USB in order to use it as the modem. Check out sprintusers.com for more info about the best models to use currently.

B

Brigrat

Yes they do. The PM325 supports Dial Up Networking, I have been using it all day. Also the the Treo 650 with a firmware upgrade can, as can the PPC-6600/6601.

THe 325 is the least expensive of Sprints Bluetooth options, and it most certain does support DUN over Bluetooth. Keep in mind, tethering is technically against the Terms of service, however; they very rarely enforce this policy.

Trust me, it can be done, even easily. I will help you if you have any questions. I just bought this phone yesterday, and had it working as a modem via Bluetooth in about 30 minutes.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
How do you like the phone in general. I first saw the phone today and don't really know what to think. How is the connection speed?

Reaction score
Very very slow and in most cases the provider will charge an arm and a leg for the time spent on the net. Your best bet is to hit up a hotspot if it's that important to be on the net on the go.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
Dominion said:
Very very slow and in most cases the provider will charge an arm and a leg for the time spent on the net. Your best bet is to hit up a hotspot if it's that important to be on the net on the go.

I talked to a rep a sprint and he said that they won't charge me for that.

E

embries

Actually, sprint has one of the best wireless internet options in the country at the moment. Many users report speeds over 100kbps due to the 3g network that Sprint has.

E

embries

BTW, I was looking at the PM325 and everyone was saying that it would not DUN over BT. I'm curious how you were able to get it working. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat if I could get it working properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.