• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Making my ripped dvds quicktime movies

M

mattberry

I was wondering how you would make audio_ts and video_ts folders into a quicktime movie. I know OSEX can do it but is it good quality? I saw some of the Quicktime HD trailers on apples site and thought this would be great to turn movies into. Should I do this or should I make avi's or mpg's? I just want a good quality copy on my hard drive. Thanks,

Mattberry

OP
K

Kokopelli

Rank these three things in order of importance: File Size, Time Spent Encoding, and Quality.

If file size and quality are most important rip to H.264. Handbrake is my method of choice. This can take 8-12 hours to encode a movie though. With a 2 hour movie you can get decent quality at 700MB, high quality at about 1.1GB, and DVD quality at around 2.2GB. (The last is a guess but I will rip one tonight to find out.)

If file size and speed of encoding are most important. MPEG2 is probably the way I would go. Possibly a compressed DVD format using popcorn or DVD2OneX. These are never my priorities though.

If speed and quality are tantamount, rip the DVD to your hard drive and leave it. This I will do if I want a movie for a trip and it is not one of the ones I keep encoded with H.264.

Generally I would recommend handbrake and Mac The Ripper for the above operations. I have never used osex but I notice it has not seen activity for almost 3 years, which is not a good sign.

OP
M

mattberry

What format is handbrake? I am just looking for something that is good quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hand brake can output as a large variety of formats, another great app is forty two dvd vxplus.

OP
E

embries

I'll second the high quality of the H.264 implementation in handbrake. I'm wondering (as I haven't paid for quicktime pro) if there's a way to encode H.264 straight from QT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have qt pro, it does not export directly to H.264, I'm on os 10.3.9. though converting to mpg 4 seems to have some nice video features and such that I hadn't seen yet.:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.