Multiple Monitors - 4+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Current setup is a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8 - 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo - 4gb memory.

I currently am running 2 additional monitors Asus 26" 1 ran direct through the DVI port and the 2nd monitor is powered through a NewerTech USB to DVI / HDMI / VGA to Video Display Adapter. (NewerTech® USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA to Video Display Adapter)

I am very happy with this adapter it has great quality with zero lag. I am looking to upgrade to 2 additional monitors with the expandability to 6 monitors including the Macbook Pro. I could purchase additional USB adapters but wanted to know if there were any better options available.

Also when I am setting these monitors up they will be stacked 3 on top of 3. Is there a way to arrange the monitors within system settings this way?

Thanks in advance

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am not sure if it behaves the same way with that many monitors but normally arranging the monitors in system settings can be done in the Displays preference pane. From the "Arrangement" tab you can stack one monitor on top of another.

If you can't tell which icon represents which monitor click an icon and hold the mouse button down. The outline of the icon will turn red and a red box will appear around the edge of the screen on the associated monitor.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
THANKS, did not realize that you could easily just stack them.

If you have any ideas for a more efficient way of running multiple monitors please let me know

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
explain to me what your trying to do in iPhoto so I can give it a shot

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now I am using the device primarily for emergency use (might have a failing video card in my Mac Pro). Here's what I think I did when I wrote a review of it a few months ago:
1. Launch iTunes and make sure the program is running on the monitor that is attached to your device. Either designate that monitor as the main one or drag iPhoto there.
2. Click a photo and go into Edit mode (the pencil).
3. Choose Effects and then select one of the effects. I think I used Vignette.

In my case I think I get an error message when I try this. My device also has a problem with 3D effects.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
No issues what so ever worked like a charm. That piece looks the exact same, just in a difference casing. Even the website looks alot alike. Very weird.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I noticed the same thing when I was writing the review. I am going to experiment a bit with iPhoto this weekend and see if I can duplicate the problem that I had. Maybe then we can compare notes. I would sure like to know if your device has the same issues.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Even if there is a cheaper alternative for the USB to DVI converter that would be great. I want to stay with one that is high def and offers the ability to support a larger screen.

Any other ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.