EFI boot ???

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro, late 2006, that i used with OS X Tiger and Win XP. Several days ago, without any warning it restarted by itself and couldn't boot. Holding the option key during startup, instead of choosing between Macintosh HD and Windows, the options were EFI Boot and Windows. Choosing any of those two, my mac froze.

I booted my mac in Target mode using another mac and i was able to acces my HDD and save all the data. I checked the disk with disk utility...it was ok. Resetting the PRAM had no efect. I tried booting from an install disk...it freezes. I formated the disk via target mode, making a second partition, bootable...same result. I checked the memory chips. I have two, without any the led bliks (normal response for lack of memory), with one of the two chips or both i get the same result...

Does anyone have any clue what i'm dealing with? and, hopefully, an idea how to solve it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

I have only seen one fix for this. That's to reinstall the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.