ahhh white screen with scroll ball for last 10 minutes

Reaction score
My roommates computer just decided it didn't want to work anymore and it went to a completely white screen with 2 scroll wheels just wizzing away. If anyone knows how to reset it w/out erasing everything on the hard drive to its factory setting that would be great!
thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
Firstly, if you can boot in safe mode (holding down shift while booting), back up your Mac with CCC or Superduper
Also, what Mac and version of OS, specs, etc?
Post back and then we can start troubleshooting.

OP
T
Reaction score
We already tried booting up in safemood but it did not work, we just got stuck on that screen.

15-inch: 2.8GHz, Core 2 Duo, Version 10.6.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
ok... you can try booting either from disc 1 of 2 of the leopard install discs if thats what it came with, or the Snow Leopard install disc (either is ok) holding down C on bootup.
If you can get there, then select the language and continue to the menu bar>utilities>disk utility. Repair permissions, and then verify disk, and if errors come up, repair disk.
If all is good, then quit disk utility, and quit installer, and reboot.

This could do the trick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try zapping the pram.
Boot holding down command + option + p + r keys together immediately after the chimes and keep holding down until third set of chimes sound.
Sounds like HD.
So... if at any stage you get it booted with any trouble shooting we try, be sure to backup onto an external HD while you can.
Time machine will save your Data but you will need a new HD to use your Mac, where as CCC or SuperDuper will create a bootable backup that you can still use your mac until you get a new HD, and transfer the data back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should add if you have access to another Mac, and the HD in the above Mac isn't a goner, then you can try to retrieve the data in Firewire target disk mode How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode
If the target HD doesn't show, then you can say goodbye to it unfortunately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.