MBP Memory

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2gb of memory for my mbp for a total of 4 gb. I downloaded Rember and performed a mem test, and it says:

Total built-in memory: 3 GB

This is the total amount of physical memory that the computer has installed. If this figure is not showing the correct amount of memory there may be a problem with one or more installed DIMMS.

Available memory: 1962 MB

Available memory is the amount of physical memory that is currently not in use by any other processes. All available memory will be used for testing when the "All" option is selected. To increase the amount of available memory, you can restart your computer before testing. If you are familiar with the command line (CLI), you can run memtest (the core of Rember) in single-user mode. See Rember help, or http://www.memtestosx.org for more information.

Requested amount: All MB

The total amount of memory requested for testing by the Rember application. Not all requested memory can be allocated for testing. See information on "Available memory" for more information.

Memory allocated for testing: 1962 MB

This is the total amount of memory that memtest was able to allocate for testing. See "Available memory" section for more information.

Why am I not showing 4gb? Am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
What model do you have some will allow so much and thats it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7
if your machine came with 2gb then it would have had 2 1gb chipsets in it. If you bought a 2gb chipset and swapped it with one of the chipsets in there you would have 3gb. Am I missing something here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I recently purchased 2gb of memory for my mbp for a total of 4 gb. I downloaded Rember and performed a mem test, and it says:

Total built-in memory: 3 GB

This is the total amount of physical memory that the computer has installed. If this figure is not showing the correct amount of memory there may be a problem with one or more installed DIMMS.

Available memory: 1962 MB

Available memory is the amount of physical memory that is currently not in use by any other processes. All available memory will be used for testing when the "All" option is selected. To increase the amount of available memory, you can restart your computer before testing. If you are familiar with the command line (CLI), you can run memtest (the core of Rember) in single-user mode. See Rember help, or http://www.memtestosx.org for more information.

Requested amount: All MB

The total amount of memory requested for testing by the Rember application. Not all requested memory can be allocated for testing. See information on "Available memory" for more information.

Memory allocated for testing: 1962 MB

This is the total amount of memory that memtest was able to allocate for testing. See "Available memory" section for more information.

Why am I not showing 4gb? Am I doing something wrong?

Also if you bought 2GB, you replace a 1GB stick, and have a total of 3GB (1 + 2 = 3). Probably isn't recognizing more than 2 because you don't have matched pairs? Or maybe the machine/OS is too old to recognize more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.