installing 10.4.1 on ext. LaCie firewire drive

C

cangel

My specs:

Powermac G4
single-processor 1.25 ghtz
80 GB hard drive
768 MB RAM

I just installed 10.4.1 on my system. I have an external LaCie firewire (400?) drive that I've backed up (using Retrospect 6.0.204) my G4 hard drive on. I was going to have Tiger installed on that as well, so that way I'd have another hard drive to start up from. Is it okay to simply install the OS on it? Do I require any firmware to download and install on the LaCie? I didn't see any information on LaCie's site regarding Tiger, though there was a firmware update compatible with Panther. Do I need to install that? The only thing I did was format the drive and then back my stuff up on it.

Please advise,

Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can just install it on the external by leaving the drive on and booting from the install disc 1, and choosing the external as the install location, just make sure its hfs+ and I'd strongly suggest partitioning that drive first, give so much to the installation of tiger, maybe 20 gigs or so, depends on the hd size and what you will use it for, and leave the rest of the drive for storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.