Anybody use the little Mackie monitors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Rebuilding my recording system little by little and looking at some compact but nice monitors. I used to run the HR824s when I was doing mixing and mastering for others (as well as my own for releases), but don't have the need for that much at this point.

I've been reading a lot about the little Mackie MR5's and pretty much everyone raves about their bottom end and overall quality. Anyone here with some personal experience?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
You really need to work out which sets are in your budget, and test them out at a guitar center or somewhere. Take some music you know really well, and it'll become apparent which pair are for you.

I tested out the KRK RP5 and KRK RP6s, and the smaller cheaper 5s were hugely better for the style I'm in.

As a recommendation, which you aren't asking for really, the KRKs have the biggest credibility from what I've read, but it has to be a personal choice from testing I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
2 of my housemates monitor on MR5s. Fantastic monitors for the price i have to say. I'm looking at upgrading my current monitoring to B&W speakers, but if I were looking at this end of the price spectrum, the MR5s would be right up there.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
More a matter of space than budget really. I've mixed heavily on the big Mackies, KRK's, and several others so I have a good idea of the tonal qualities and coloring of most of the larger near fields, just was interested if anyone had personal experience/recommendation on the little guys.

Thanks for the notes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.