Safari Not Playing YouTube Videos

Reaction score
I have been using safari for as long as i've had a mac and have never encountered any issues until now. When i log onto YouTube and try to watch a video, it says that I need the latest flash player or that I have Java turned off. I have installed Adobe Flash Player six times and have checked to make sure that Java and Java scripts are turned on. Help?

Reaction score
Check your configurations, any firewalls or antivirus that might be causing this issue, or another program

Reaction score
delete -> [username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

this will reset your settings like home page but not your bookmarks, cookies or saved passwords.

Reaction score
On mine. Firefox works, but safari does not. Does not tell me I need flashplayer; it just gives me a black box where the video should be and does nothing.:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
On mine. Firefox works, but safari does not. Does not tell me I need flashplayer; it just gives me a black box where the video should be and does nothing.:Angry-Tongue:

I have the exact same problem..would really appreciate a response.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you go here, what does the page tell you about your Flash install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, OS X 10.6.6, Snow Leopard
There are a couple threads on this. We have been back and forth about what it could be. After 2 visits to the genius bar, 1st solution: add the click to flash extension through Safari (I didn't like that), the 2nd most recent solution (as of today at the genius bar) is to turn back to 32 bit from 64 bit. Apparently Youtube and a few others will be updating their entire system to 64 in the near future. For now, leave it on 32 and it will not affect anything.

I was in the same boat. It was working fine then all of a sudden it stopped. I switched my safari back to 32 bit and no problems.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem..would really appreciate a response.

Hi MTLREP1. Someone suggested above to delete the safari.plist file. However, I found it did not exist on my computer. Other people suggested this, and that seemed to work for them:

applications -safari-more info- click to: open in a 32-bit mode.

What worked for me:

To delete Safari's icon cache using the Finder, open your user folder, navigate to ~/Library/Safari/ and move this file "webpageIcons.db to the Trash

If you google around - you will see that this is a problem that started with safari in the beginning of February. Even a google employee noted it. The good news. Google is trying to find a permanate fix for safari users. The bad news - all they came up with so far are temporary work-around solutions. It appears it may be related to the switch from flash to HTML5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I bet if you did a search, you'd find a really good, recent thread that has the fix for all this....

Just saying...

Reaction score
Google messed something up

I had the exact same issue.

I was able to resolve it in 2 manners: either change the user agent in Safari to something other then default - I used Safari 5 Windows - or as mentioned earlier run Safari in 32 bit mode. It seems to be an issue on Google's side, hope they fix this soon.

edit:
Actually it seems to be an issue with Adobe:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/793304?tstart=-1

Google is trying to use Adobe's new API for Stage Video, this seems to causing issues with some 64 bit Safari installations on older Macbooks. GMA 945 and GMA X3100 especially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
YouTube works on my Imac, but the iPad won't play them most of the time. It says to update the flash player, but when I try to do that, it says the update won't work on my device. That's pretty sad because I like You Tube, my kids post videos of my grand kids there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Macs should not have any problem playing flash videos, but iPads did not originally support flash and will probably have problems with YouTube unless you're watching a video in HTML5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple needs to step up to the plate with the iPad. People paying $500.00 to $1000.00 for an iPad are going to want to watch videos on it I would think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who's paying $1000 for an iPad?

And I have absolutely no problem watching videos on my iPad, I do it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad and wouldn't be without it. Sometimes I just get frustrated when the little box pops up and gives me the message it won't play the video because the flash player needs updating and when I try it won't let me. Did you see my earlier post where it asks me to update the flash player and when I try it says it won't work on my device? I guess I came to a dead end there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you see my earlier post where it asks me to update the flash player and when I try it says it won't work on my device? I guess I came to a dead end there.

You must have completely missed the YouTube app on the iPad. I also have never had a problem playing videos that people link to me from YouTube on my iPad.

I'm still interested to know who's paying $1000 for an iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a YouTube icon on my desk top, is that what you mean? My son in law set it up for me initially. I thought he knew what he was doing because he has one too. I'm still very new to Apple, and I have a lot to learn, but no matter what, I'll never go back to Windows. I thought that's what the 32Gs were going for, maybe I was told wrong.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple needs to step up to the plate with the iPad. People paying $500.00 to $1000.00 for an iPad are going to want to watch videos on it I would think.

Yes...sometimes we here at Mac-Forums do get a bit technical...and since currently the most expensive iPad is $829 (+ tax) for the 64gig WiFi+3G model...still not quite $1000.;)

iPad - iPad WiFi - iPad WiFi + 3G - Apple Store (U.S.)

Refurbished...you can get the most expensive iPad model for $779 (+tax):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC497LL/A?mco=MjAwMjIyMDc

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, that's awesome. I had to send my iPad in for repair yesterday. Small dent on the corner where the on/off switch is. I hope to have it back in a week. Apple care is the best I have seen with any company. When I get it back, it'll be a new one. I miss it already. I'll try getting it to play YouTube vids when I do get it. If I have trouble, I'll post on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.