OSX Window Key Commands

J

Journeyman

Greetings,

Is it true that OS X doesn't have key commands to maximize or minimize a window? Thanks.

OP
T

Tel

Command + M will minimise the current window, click it in your dock to maximise it. But you're missing the point, since switching to Mac I've used the minimise fucntion twice, using Expose means theres no need what so ever for minimising windows, whats more you can close windows without quiting the app, for example, if I want to get rid of my iTunes window I can close the window but my music will continue to play.

OP
J

Journeyman

Tel,

Thanks for your reply. What I really want is a key command to maximize a window, instead of hitting the litte [+] button with my mouse. Is there a key command for that? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
command+h will hide the window and program and then command+tab will bring it back up

OP
K

Kokopelli

Journeyman said:
Tel,

Thanks for your reply. What I really want is a key command to maximize a window, instead of hitting the litte [+] button with my mouse. Is there a key command for that? Thanks.

No, there is not. There is a command to minimize but not maximize. Hiding and then restoring as fearlessfreep suggested is my preferred method to deal with this challenge.

OP
J

Journeyman

Unfortunately none of those workarounds results in a maximized window via key command. If you ask me, it was very shortsighted of Apple not to have key commands for these basic functions.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Journeyman said:
Unfortunately none of those workarounds results in a maximized window via key command. If you ask me, it was very shortsighted of Apple not to have key commands for these basic functions.

This is because in Macs vision of computer use there is no such thing as maximization. The idea is that an app has a normal state and a zoomed state, which is meant to have a size optimal for the app in question. Therefore there is no need for a "maximize" key combination.

I happen to disagree with this particular philosophy, safari being a prime example where it does not work well, but that is the "why."

All other things considered this does not bother me anymore. I have adapted to this difference between Linux/Windows and OS X.

OP
J

Journeyman

I understand what you're saying. But if that's Apple's philosophy, then why put a maximize button on each and every window as they have? Why does having a corresponding key command for that button somehow brake a rule that having the button existing to begin with doesn't?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I found a solution, which is sort of a work around to accomplish maximizing things fron the dock. Witch, which is in beta, is very similar to the Cmd+Tab feature, but this app will maximize an app or window from the dock unlike the Cmd+Tab feature.

IMPORTANT: You must enable access for assistive devices under the Universal Access in the System Preferences in order for the app to work. After the app is installed, Option+Tab will allow you to tab through the apps or windows to maximize an app or window from the dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.