Applecare question/advice

Reaction score
I'm a future switchover to a MBP that will hopefully be coming in the next few weeks. I've explored a number of routes and ebay is one of them. The auction I'm looking at says that software (iLife, CS3, Toast 10 Titanium, iWork) comes preloaded with the system however the CDs aren't included. So, I have 2 questions

1 - Is there some sort of program that I can use to put these on a CD so that I can reformat the HD then reload them back on later even if I don't have the serial numbers for them

2 - If these happen to be stolen programs and I take the MBP in for service, will they be able to see that and thus void my warranty?

3 - What are the chances that an apple care warranty can be faked and when i go to use it, it says that it isn't valid?

4 - if my apple care expires on 7-2012, can I extend it for another 3 years? or do they not let you extend them?

Thanks for the help ahead of time! It is much appreciated! I'm looking forward to getting my MAC on in the not too distant future!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do some searching in the forum. Buying Apple care from eBay involves risk. It may turn out that it's a stolen serial number or cracked number.

I take it you're buying a MBP from someone on eBay? If so, good luck with the purchase. Personally I wouldn't buy a computer from anyone on eBay regardless of their rating or who they are. It's just too much of a hassle to get a refund if something should go wrong.

And... if no install DVD set is included as you indicate, that should be the first clue to you not to buy. But, it's your decision.

Regards.

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the previous comment, buying from ebay (especially computers etc) is just so unpredictable I wouldn't even attempt it personally speaking. And since your not getting the install DVDs I'd very much doubt you'd be getting any license details for said software either in which case, "you" wouldn't be licensed for any of the software.

If you have your heart set on this auction then at least buy the MBP using something like Paypal etc at least that way if you do have any issues you can always argue the case with them and you have a certain amount of protection.

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Personally I wouldn't buy a computer from anyone on eBay regardless of their rating or who they are. It's just too much of a hassle to get a refund if something should go wrong.

And... if no install DVD set is included as you indicate, that should be the first clue to you not to buy. But, it's your decision.

Regards.
This is extremely good advice. I tell those who ask, the very same thing. Ebay can be a very dangerous place to buy something as expensive and important as a computer. Especially an Apple, as they build excellent long lasting computers. They also tend to have the highest resale. Therefore what appears to be a great deal is usually too good to be true, and is. There's an increasing trend in a bad economy, for fraudulent transactions to take place on a site like eBay. And it's not eBay's fault, they cannot monitor every posting.
So do yourself a huge favor and look at the refurbished models that Apple sells at reasonable prices. In the end _those_ are the good deals. No wasted time and money, you get what you paid for and you just use it and enjoy it.
Good luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well just to be fair & balanced...I have probably bought & sold around 10 computers (maybe more) on e-Bay in the last 10 years, and all the transactions went fine. Sure it's a bit stressful...cause you want the computer you purchased to be EXACTLY as advertised!!!

Also if you pay with Paypal...you have a lot of protection. If you're sold something that's not as described...e-Bay/Paypal seems to rule in favor of the buyer more times than not...and you get your money refunded. If Paypal rules in the buyers favor...the money is automatically refunded from the seller's Paypal account (no action on the sellers part is required).

And..."knock on wood" hopefully any future computer transactions I have on e-Bay will be trouble free as well.

I would personally say that I have had more problems with UPS & FedEx damaging items during delivery when purchasing items on e-Bay...then problems with e-Bay sellers.

Also...when purchasing used computers on e-Bay. You may be the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owner of a computer (depending on it's age)...so a lot of the original items that came with the computer (the original box, remote controls, manuals, OS disks, etc.)...just may simply have been lost.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't want to turn this into an eBay plus or minus discussion, but I do somewhat disagree with your assessment on who eBay favors when a dispute occurs.

As you may know, PayPal is owned and operated by the eBay corporation. And it has been my experience that eBay usually rules in favor of the seller when a dispute occurs. Keep in mind that eBay makes money from sellers not buyers and every PayPal transaction brings them revenue. So guess who they tend to favor?

The old adage is still in vogue: Buyer Beware. :Smirk:

Regards.

C

chas_m

The auction I'm looking at says that software (iLife, CS3, Toast 10 Titanium, iWork) comes preloaded with the system however the CDs aren't included.

This should be your first red flag. If the seller is willing to pirate software, he's an unethical person. I don't know about you, but I try to avoid buying from unethical people (have never set foot in a used car lot in my life, for example).

So, I have 2 questions

Okay, but just two. :)

1 - Is there some sort of program that I can use to put these on a CD so that I can reformat the HD then reload them back on later even if I don't have the serial numbers for them

No. Without the serial numbers, you will at some point lose the ability to use them (may not be for a while, but at some point), and this also usually limits your ability to upgrade. Furthermore, a lot of commercial software "phones home," allowing the software developer to trace illegal copies.

It is *always always always* a bad idea to buy a used machine and not wipe it completely. It's a huge security risk for both you and the seller.

2 - If these happen to be stolen programs and I take the MBP in for service, will they be able to see that and thus void my warranty?

No. But if the machine ITSELF is stolen, then obviously your warranty is void (and other problems).

3 - What are the chances that an apple care warranty can be faked and when i go to use it, it says that it isn't valid?

Sorry, that's your two questions. :)

J/K -- I would think the possibility of "faking" a warranty is low, but LYING about it is pretty easy. You can check the coverage for a specific machine's serial number on Apple's site, but until you have the machine in hand you can't be sure you actually HAVE the serial number of the hardware.

4 - if my apple care expires on 7-2012, can I extend it for another 3 years? or do they not let you extend them?

They don't extend Applecare. Be aware that for this machine to have AppleCare till July 2012, the machine would have had to have been bought no later than 7 months ago (July 2009). Unless you've stumbled on an exceptionally stupid seller or a stolen machine, I cannot imagine someone selling a Mac of that age for less than what it would cost you to get the exact same model refurbished directly from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.