ClickToFlash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram
The other day, I came across a site that had a piece about a little known Safari plugin that lets a user choose when and if to load Flash content. Every comment that was posted was very positive so I decided to give it a try.

All I can say is WOW. Surfing the web without Flash is incredible. No more spikes in CPU/Fan usage when visiting Flash intensive sites. No more annoying, auto-playing trailers and infomercials.

When you visit a site that has Flash content, that content is replaced with the word "Flash". You can either forego the viewing the content or if you wish, click on the graphic and execute it.

I can't believe I haven't heard of this plugin until recently. I've been using a Mac for approx 4 years now and Safari is my default browser. I've just fell in love with Safari all over again.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Ya its a great plugin . A great number of us use it. And thanx for helping to spread the word .

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
:Smirk:
Ya, we know! It's a great time-saver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
I just downloaded and installed it, but it's not working. I have it in Home>Library>Internet Plug-Ins>ClickToFlash.webplugin. Is that the right place?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using Safari? It's Safari only. If you're using Firefox, take a look at FlashBlock.

OP
Mac_Daddy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Suggestion: There is a beta version listed on the developer's website. There are a lot of comments on Macupdate about the Beta version acting "funky". Save yourself the trouble and download the stable version instead on the developers site; Macupdate links to the Beta, FYI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I just downloaded and installed it, but it's not working. I have it in Home>Library>Internet Plug-Ins> ... Is that the right place?
That's where mine is, and it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Well I'm using this version, I think it's the beta like you said. ww.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682?rord=mod%7C%7Ccmodrev=256120:1]Download ClickToFlash for Mac - WebKit plug-in prevents automatic loading of Adobe Flash content. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Can you post a link to the stable version? I'm running Safari on Snow Leopard if it matters.

Edit: Scratch that, I downloaded it off the apple website and it's working fine. Thanks for showing me that was using the beta!

OP
Mac_Daddy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm using this version, I think it's the beta like you said. ww.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682?rord=mod%7C%7Ccmodrev=256120:1]Download ClickToFlash for Mac - WebKit plug-in prevents automatic loading of Adobe Flash content. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Can you post a link to the stable version? I'm running Safari on Snow Leopard if it matters.

Edit: Scratch that, I downloaded it off the apple website and it's working fine. Thanks for showing me that was using the beta!

No problem. :D

Reaction score
ClickToFlash and AdBlocker

Using Safari and just installed ClickToFlash and noted the improved performance of webpages as reported elsewhere on this thread. Looks good.

I've also been a user of AdBlocker though I currently have it disabled...it seemed to make page loading slow for some reason on particular sites. Tried re-enabling it after installing ClickToFlash and noticed that ClickToFlash stopped working...i.e. the pages loaded with what had previously had the 'Flash' message in boxes with whatever the Flash content actually was. Ads, of course, were blocked in the usual way.

Anyone else see this? I'd like to be able to use both if I can though ClickToFlash seems the better alternative at the moment.

Thanx...bob

C

chas_m

The idea that ClickToFlash is "little known" is pretty amusing. I guess everyone thinks they were the first to invent the wheel ... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black
This may be a silly question, but here goes,

I have installed Adobe Flash (to play content on BBC iPlayer) and have now found out about ClicktoFlash. Do I need to uninstall Flash from my iMac and then install CtF or do I need to leave Flash installed and it just goes to it when needed?

Can you play iPlayer with something else?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

PS still loving the Mac!

E

EightmanVT

Just install click to flash - no need to uninstall flash...would sort of defeat the purpose as CTF would have nothing to block from loading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
Can't seem to find any 'Help' pages for ClickToFlash. The problem I'm having is that I have set CtF to automatically load H.264 videos from YouTube, also selecting HD. However, the placemat (?) says 'Youtube' not H.264 and when I click on it, it plays the normal lower quality vid and I assume it's flash and not quicktime.

Obviously I don't understand how this thing works, sorry for appearing daft, but anyone any advice?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not all videos are available in the H.264 format. Most are but I've come across some that are only available through the Flash player. Do you have an example for us so we can confirm this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There doesn't seem to be an H.264 version of that video. In fact, I can't seem to find one, even with the popular videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.