• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple is not a computer company ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's all semantics. They should more rightly called a "Personal Technology" company...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
A Mac Pro is mobile?

Baggss is right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Of cause it's mobile.
We all drive around our Mac pros with portable genetators in the trunk just to power the Mac Pro. Makes really good fun in the colder months, the portable generator can warm you up if you sit on it.

Seriously Bagss is right. But I'd rather call them a "Computing technology" company. As business likes Apples too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well Apple did change its name from Apple Computers Inc. to just Apple Inc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its just the shift Apple has made since 2000, from a classic computer company to a technology company making computers, ipods, phones and now the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tim Cook needs to take a good grip of himself........or maybe that is the problem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe Apple is going to leave the computer business and go all Cloud with a iPad for the interface. Who knows.

OP
clayneal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Maybe Apple is going to leave the computer business and go all Cloud with a iPad for the interface. Who knows.

BLASPHEMY ! How dare you even think such a thing ?!:(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I know you'd enjoy that outcome but I don't think that would be wise. :p

I think his comment may be in reference to something I saw a while ago about Apple's planned move to focusing on mobile devices but not necessarily only on mobile devices. That or he is referencing the fact that the mobile division of Apple makes up the majority of their business (which sounds more likely).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
When all the talk was out there about a possible Apple slate, how many wanted a Mac slate? How many were dissapointed to see yet another iPod? I know I was.

Apple seem to be moving away from real computers and going into gadgets.
I have to be honest and say that I'm not an IPod/Phone/Pad person. I love Apple Macs, but not the toys the company are producing to please the gadgeteers out there.

I would have loved to have seen the Mac Slate. A full functioning Mac OSX machine, but no, we get a large iPod. They had the chance to make great in roads into the "slate" market. There are many Windows based slates on the way. The decision to make the Apple slate an iPod was a mistake. Yes it will sell. The "I'll buy anything Apple produce" guys will buy it, but businesses won't. The iPad will not compete against the Windows slates and I think this will hurt Apple.

Apple are now a mobile company, that just happens to have a line of computers in their catalogue. How long before Apple no longer produce The Mac pro or Mini? How long before even the (mobile) Macbook range has ceased to be. I fear the end of the Macintosh :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When all the talk was out there about a possible Apple slate, how many wanted a Mac slate? How many were dissapointed to see yet another iPod? I know I was.

Apple seem to be moving away from real computers and going into gadgets.
I have to be honest and say that I'm not an IPod/Phone/Pad person. I love Apple Macs, but not the toys the company are producing to please the gadgeteers out there.

I would have loved to have seen the Mac Slate. A full functioning Mac OSX machine, but no, we get a large iPod. They had the chance to make great in roads into the "slate" market. There are many Windows based slates on the way. The decision to make the Apple slate an iPod was a mistake. Yes it will sell. The "I'll buy anything Apple produce" guys will buy it, but businesses won't. The iPad will not compete against the Windows slates and I think this will hurt Apple.

Apple are now a mobile company, that just happens to have a line of computers in their catalogue. How long before Apple no longer produce The Mac pro or Mini? How long before even the (mobile) Macbook range has ceased to be. I fear the end of the Macintosh :(
You know that PC's have had slates for years right they were not marketed
correctly to get their sales going or the publics unwillingness to pay the premium.

Reaction score
The thing I love about apple is it's gadgets and the cool macbooks... no doubt the iphone and ipod touches are great invents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Then they might as well just sell the iPod touch only, because any other device Apple makes that has the unlock screen and the home screen with the applications icons is just a big iPod touch.

(I'm only kiddin' gaiz)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, that's largely misleading, however. Cook never said they weren't a computer company. They have what is widely regarded as the best OS in the market, and also the best hardware. Not to mention, a huge section of their revenue still comes from Macs, which is growing via the halo effect thanks to iPhone and iPod.

Don't worry, computer junkies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's all semantics, who really cares what Apple calls itself, as long as it continues to put out new Macs on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Apple aren't gonna scrap the iMac and the Mac Pro, they just said that because they have allot more mobile devices than desktop devices and they are one of the largest mobile device producers out there, and thats where most of the sales come from.

BTW: The Mod Book looks awesome, once march has started (I've exceeded my monthly bandwidth) I'll look at it on you tube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Read this article from Ars. It puts it into a more realistic perspective. Apple isn't stopping making Macs any time soon. They're merely admitting that they make a lot of money from their mobile devices unit, which by the way, could mean notebooks too... Don't worry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.