802.11b good enough for 256 DSL?

B

badmojo

I got my in-laws to pony up for high speed internet and a new Win laptop. (Believe me, I tried and tried to get them to consider an iBook but they're computer illiterate, and they wanted to get what they were using before) My query is this: I have an old 802.11b wireless router that I'm not using. Will this suffice with 256 DSL? The farthest point they would stray would be about 60 feet away through two non-solid walls. Most of the time the computer would sit about 6 feet away from the router.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
It seems that they'll be just fine with the wireless b router. I think only if they were to be trading large files between computers that they might want to consider a wireless g router. But it seems that they are not powers like you and us, so you definitely did the right thing by giving them the wireless b router. They should have more than enough overhead speed left available ever after dsl internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My signal has to go about 30-40 feet between two brick walls. I only have a B router and I still get 3 to 4 bars on the AirPort signal. They will be fine with the router you set them up with. :black:

OP
B

badmojo

D3v1L80Y said:
My signal has to go about 30-40 feet between two brick walls. I only have a B router and I still get 3 to 4 bars on the AirPort signal. They will be fine with the router you set them up with. :black:

Hey, thanks for the replies. They'll should be ok, I guess, except for the computer part.

OP
E

EvoMac

Wireless signal is not really based off of B or G. That is a determining factor for networked computers transfering files, video, music, etc... I had a B router at home originally and now since replaced it with a G and their is no difference in signal strenth. Also it will not increase or decrease internet traffic. B can support 11mbs per second, which is unheard of for personal internet connections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.