OS X stability: insane!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" white MacBook | 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM |250GB HDD
I was reading a thread in the Rumors forum about Snow Leopard 10.6.3, and the potential for Apple to bolster the stability of OS X. It made me think: how could this OS be any more stable?

I've had my MB for a bit over a month now, and have yet to experience one application crash, let alone an OS crash. Let me take that back, I think I locked up the DVD burning app on day 3 or so. But I have yet to see any one app become totally unresponsive or die since, and have never received an error from OS X.

Meanwhile, I just had to install some patches on my work laptop (XP Pro), and when starting the reboot - ta-da - "this program is not responding". I think I see that on a daily basis, not to mention coping w/memory leaks in Windows apps like IE & Outlook.

I appreciate the Mac OS more & more each day for it's intuitive nature, in addition to the stability. OS X is a fortress, while Windows seems to be made of spit & tissue paper. If there was ever a point where I told myself I'll never ever go back to Windows for personal computing, this is it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes you are right. OS X is known for it's stability. But nothing is perfect. It's just each patch of OS X gets closer and ever closer to ths hypothetical perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
The only problems I had with anything on Snow Leopard (6.2) is with Microsoft Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I'm platform neutral. I enjoy them all. In my experience it's just a matter of taking the time to learn the OS you are using. In the last five years I've not had a crash or blue screen with windows. I've enjoyed total stability and speed. I've also enjoyed that same experience with Linux. So, while I have a personal preference for a mac, its not based on stability, as that's never been a problem for me. Yet that said, macs are easier for computer novices as there is less to learn. For those that don't like to read or learn, nothing beats a mac. They're great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
My MAcbook is almost a month old too. I have installed a boatload of software, and not a single problem or crash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I like best about macs is the tight integration between the OS and mac apps. The look & feel, the overall way the GUI functions, its like Linux with the only downside being unlike Linux, you have no ability to customize and tailor the OS. But setting that aside, everything else is very nice. Apples slick hardware design is also stellar. A complete package that illustrates the positive side of controlling the hardware and software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes you are right. OS X is known for it's stability. But nothing is perfect. It's just each patch of OS X gets closer and ever closer to ths hypothetical perfect.
Absolutely and this is true of any operating system that receives regular updates (regardless of how much closer those updates get the OS to the "theoretical perfect stability").

To the OP: I'm glad that you've had a great experience with OS X but you need to be aware of two things: you've only been using it for a month and if it does crash, you're likely to be more frustrated than normal if you elevate OS X to a level of stability that it may or may not deserve. I do agree that it is more stable but it is still a piece of software. I can guarantee that one day OS X will go south on you.

As for the memory leaks, those can very well exist outside of Office apps. Firefox was (and may still be) notorious for leaking memory. Something to consider. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The quickness of going to sleep and waking up is one of the main reasons I fell in love with Mac OS X. I don't reboot my laptop for months at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I'm platform neutral. I enjoy them all. In my experience it's just a matter of taking the time to learn the OS you are using. In the last five years I've not had a crash or blue screen with windows. I've enjoyed total stability and speed. I've also enjoyed that same experience with Linux. So, while I have a personal preference for a mac, its not based on stability, as that's never been a problem for me. Yet that said, macs are easier for computer novices as there is less to learn. For those that don't like to read or learn, nothing beats a mac. They're great.

What are you basing this on? Do you know how to script in bash? Do you know all of the hotkeys for your mac? Do you know all of the features?

How much is there to learn for windows? It's not that there is an overwhelming amount of knowledge. It's the fact that to do something simple like figure out what graphics hardware your machine has, you have to go to control panels, then Display Adapters... why would the graphics card be listed under display adapters instead of under GRAPHICS. It's stupid backward crap like that that makes Windows less accessible to the mainstream user.

There's less REQUIRED learning. There is a wealth of knowledge involved in the Mac OS, though, and I'm rather offended that you would suggest otherwise.

edit-
Again, clearly you're unaware, since you say that you can't customize the OS like you can with linux... you totally can. It's not that hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you basing this on?
Personal experience of over 15yrs, as a computer scientist with a Masters from MIT (Google it if you don't know what MIT is)
Do you know how to script in bash?
Yes
Do you know all of the hotkeys for your mac? Do you know all of the features?
Just about after a month of ownership.
How much is there to learn for windows?
As much as one wants to learn
It's not that there is an overwhelming amount of knowledge. It's the fact that to do something simple like figure out what graphics hardware your machine has, you have to go to control panels, then Display Adapters... why would the graphics card be listed under display adapters instead of under GRAPHICS. It's stupid backward crap like that that makes Windows less accessible to the mainstream user.
That's merely your opinion. This is a forum of public opinion. Don't like mine? Ignore it.
There's less REQUIRED learning. There is a wealth of knowledge involved in the Mac OS, though, and I'm rather offended that you would suggest otherwise.

edit-
Again, clearly you're unaware, since you say that you can't customize the OS like you can with linux... you totally can.
Your wrong.
Cheers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I've only had my MBP the last 3 months since being a Windows user for years. What I've found with my limited experience with Mac is; it's not really about being easier or harder with Window. Everything becomes easy once you learn how to do it. It seems to me, in most cases, you get results more quickly with most things that you do on the Mac. Whether visually or task wise. There's less clutter of information compare to Windows. If I'm a control freak that wants to know everything at all times and have the ability to pick and choose my way through the operating system, I think Window is perfectly fine.

OS X on the other hand tend to 'get on with it'. If I want it to do something, it tries to get to the results quickly with minimal interaction with the user (ahem...dialog boxes) That's not to say it gives the right results every time, but it tries to be efficient. Some may mistaken this 'efficiency' as catering to computer novice.

It comes down to your preference of how you want to do your computing. I'm at the stage where I'm not really curious anymore, I already know how 'it works'. I just want to do it and get results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Personal experience of over 15yrs, as a computer scientist with a Masters from MIT (Google it if you don't know what MIT is)

Your wrong.

You mean you're wrong.

Does MIT have an English as a First Language course?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I would say OS X is more stable than Windows. A lot more stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Absolutely and this is true of any operating system that receives regular updates (regardless of how much closer those updates get the OS to the "theoretical perfect stability").

Heck no. I think Vista was a step backward and was worse then XP. Not always does a future patch mean a better OS. But that one well known example aside your generally right.

I think OS X is really stable because of how it is made. For 95% of daily operations yo uinstall your app and use it. That's it. Simple as pie. But for other OSes you have to configure this and run that and fiddle with this before you can even open up the program to use it. And all of that fiddling can cause issues to people who don't know what they're doing.

And less need to fiddle with the working of an OS = less chance for things to be screwed up which = more stable OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes

Just about after a month of ownership.

As much as one wants to learn

That's merely your opinion. This is a forum of public opinion. Don't like mine? Ignore it.

Your wrong.
Cheers...

Well aren't you just adorable.

I'm so wrong that I'm staring at a customized version of OS X right now, with custom icons, dock, and other themes, and have successfully modded before to have my menu bar black... maybe linux makes it easier, but linux isn't trying to create a unified look between their hardware and software.

If you really want to wave the fact that you have a degree from MIT in computer science, and then have the audacity to suggest that I don't know what MIT is, feel free, but it really speaks volumes about your lack of quality as a human being.

You posted on a forum. You don't like having a response to your misguided opinion? Too bad.

Reaction score
You mean you're wrong.

Does MIT have an English as a First Language course?

Now thats funny. Hahaha I went to school in Boston for 5 years, near MIT. All people from MIT were usually all a-holes. The guy maybe nice, but he did certainly come off like a jerk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I clearly know nothing about computers having immersed myself in them since age 4, back in 1990. Oh, and better yet, I'm so stupid I've never heard of MIT. Hilarious.

Anyway, yea that crack about the English department was pretty funny. :) Kudos toMACsh.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Heck no. I think Vista was a step backward and was worse then XP. Not always does a future patch mean a better OS. But that one well known example aside your generally right.
Vista was more than a security patch for XP though ;). I don't nor have ever used Vista extensively but I would guess that even if it isn't fantastic now, it's better than the day it was released.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.