cleaning a mac without an install disc

Reaction score
i figured this was the best place to put this thread due it really being about working with the operating system. sorry if it is in the wrong place though.

due to recession, i will be out of my job as the 12th march and i use a macbook given to me by my work . but it looks like they want it back before i leave and i really dont trust the I.T guy from my head office so i want to make sure i can get everything off it before it goes back as it does have a personall stuff on it . i have had the mac book for about 3 years now and it has quite alot of personal stuff all over the place . ideally the way to clean it would be to use the install disc and start a fresh , but i dont have access to it and although the I.T guy will use it to clean it, i dont trust that he wont have snope around before he wipes it clean.

so the obvious part will be clearing all stuff from my desktop and documents, music , pictures and movies.

then i will delete the keychain and create a new one . i will then remove all the apps that i have installed on the machine. but is there anything else. i have been looking though the library and noticed the application support folder and witin that it has folders for all the apps i have installed , so im assuming i should delete the folders for the apps i have installed, but is there anything else i need to get rid.

once its all off i have a program that that will write and wipe all off the free space . so that will be the final thing i do , but i just want to make sure i can get rid of everything i can

much appreciated for any help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just create a new user account with admin privileges. Log into that new account and delete the old account.

Don't see much point in worrying about the apps, but you can delete them if you want.

Disk Utility will clean the free space, although I can't see many IT personnel having the time going into old returned computers to attempt a salvage of deleted stuff on the machine of an employee that no longer works for the company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
After you've cleared all that you mentioned above, you can pretty much delete everything in the user library folders and sub folders, and then erase the free space.
There is no harm that can come from this, esp as the IT guy at work is just going to do a clean install anyway.
There is really nothing else I would do except for downloading OnyX, and letting every cleaning function run in the automation tab, and a few extras if you feel like it... this will take care of all the history, caches, logs, etc. and once again, no harm can come from this as a clean install will be taking place.
You can also run through preference panes and preferences in HD library, and delete away will nilly.
Go to Safari in Safari menu bar and reset Safari and you are done.
If I've left anything out someone will come along and add to the list, but I believe that I have covered all that you need to worry about.
Sorry to hear about work, and hope that things work out for you just as you'd like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I should have asked as mentioned by bobtomay, if you have admin privalages, then do as advised by the wise man with the white beard, and there is really no need to waste your time following my steps. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
spot on . thank you so much for the time and help . i will have a look at the programs mentioned

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.