Changing from Quicktime to VLC

Reaction score
I want to use VLC for video/audio. But I can't get the system to automatically open files with VLC.

When I manually open files with VLC, it does ask me if I want VLC to open this file with VLC always - and I click yes. BUT - it only changes the preference for that ONE file, not all files of the same type. That's the whole point...

How can I do that?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Open a Finder window and find a file of the type you wish to have vlc play. Right click on the file and choose Get Info. In the window that opens, look for the Opens with section. You will find a drop down list where you can change the default application. Once you have chosen the app you want, click the Change All button and it will change the default app for all files of that type.

get info window.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One thing to note - unless it's been fixed in one of the updates since I last used it - if the file you select in the above method is already set to open with VLC, clicking 'Change All' will not work. Change it to something else, then change it back to VLC prior to clicking the 'Change All' button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Or there is another option.

If you want x number of files in a folder to be opened by VLC. you just highlight all the files in the folder. And get info in them. But you do that with the "Command+option+i". The option in that changes opening the get info in seperate info winows to all of the files into one get info window.

Then after you "Command+option+i" you can change the open with to VLC or whatever. And all the files highlight will open with VLC. And if the open with does not appear it means you have very different files selected. Like apps and folders or movie files and system prefs. SO just click all the movie/whateve files you want opened with vlc and "Command+option+i".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.