Oops!

K

Kahlan

Good day everyone, (I also posted this in the switchers hangout, but thought maybe it should be posted here?)

I recently acquired an old clamshell. I thought it would be an inexpensive way to get a taste of Mac. When I received it, it was running perfect and have had no problems for the two months I've owned it.

I decided I wanted to partition it so I could have OS X, OS 9, and Linux on
there own volumes. The partitioning part went fine (I did it through Disk Utility). However my first attempt- Installed 10.3 and 9.2, once I did nine I couldn't start up in 10 again. It showed on the disk start up, but once selected and restarted, it went to 9. Also, what was most alarming is the memory which was at 288 MB, now only showed the originial 64 MB! On the Mac info page it is listed as not supported!

So, where did I go wrong? I would like to do a clean reformat (if there is one),
do the partitions and get my ram back. I would be forever in your debt if anyone can help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Kahlan

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What sizes are your disk partitions? The OS X partitions on this model can not be any bigger than 7.95gb.

OP
K

Kahlan

I had it at 10GB for OS X and 2GB for OS 9 (For playing older games and educational
software), and 2GB for a Linux OS and 17GB for extra hard drive space. Do you think I need to cut back on the OS 9 partition also?

OP
K

Kahlan

I finally got this solved! I had been prompted by OS 9 to do a firmware up-date and it had me reset the PRAM. I had forgotten all about it, until someone suggested I do it. I then realized that must have been the real problem as it knocked out my 3rd party additional ram, ( That's probably why I couldn't boot into OS X too) so I googled the problem and came up with DIMM First Aid which has fixed it! Thank you for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.