• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need to convert AVI files to MPEG4 using free software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.11
Hi,

I need free software that will convert my AVI video clips into MPEG4. I will be editing some of these in iMovie 6.0.3 (yes, the old one, not 06). Currently I can import the video clips into iMovie, but there is a transparent banner across the screen that reads 'Created with Flip4Mac WMV demo', which is allowing the clip to be seen, and presumably I would have to buy this programme to be rid of the banner (but I would prefer a free one as all I want to do is convert it, and will do the editing in iMovie).

Someone recommended Handbrake.fr as a good option, but unfortunately it no longer supports my older OS X 10.4.11.

I would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a good, free AVI to MPEG4 programme that would support my older OS X. Thanks.

Gaby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
try googling isquint.
thts what i use!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.11
Thanks Zigdog:), I had looked at this, but understood it to be "an iPod video conversion application", and wasn't sure if the converted file would be useable for iMovie? Can you please confirm? O:)

Thanks.

Gaby

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.11
Feedback about iSquint

Hi Zigdog,

Just wanted to let you know I've now used iSquint to convert my AVI files - thanks for your tip. The only drawback with the now converted MPEG4 files is the quality is not quite as good as what my AVI clips were displaying courtesy of the free Flip4Mac player (in iMovie where I'm editing), even with adjusting the settings when doing the conversion. But at this stage it's not too critical.

However, in the future I may have buy the Flip4Mac if I really want to boost the quality (I'm assuming that the purchased product will do this). Otherwise in the meantime I'm still interested to hear from anyone who knows of a good quality free conversion software for AVI files to MPEG4, supporting Tiger.

Cheers,
Gaby

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.11
Hi panamadany,

Thanks for your response, unfortunately Handbrake no longer supports Tiger, and I've tried MPEG Streamclip and it didn't work.

Cheers,
Gaby

C

chas_m

Hi panamadany,

Thanks for your response, unfortunately Handbrake no longer supports Tiger, and I've tried MPEG Streamclip and it didn't work.

Can you be more specific about "didn't work?" I do this sort of thing all the time with MPEG Streamclip (AVI to MP4) -- when I'm not using VisualHub or Redux Encoder to do the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'm just curious - if it's just an AVI file, you should be able to use the file (watch, transcode, etc.) with just Perian ( Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components ) installed. Flip4mac is only really needed for WMV files.

And you should be able to transcode with mpegstreamclip, isquint, etc. without problem (although there is a chance you will need to remove flip4mac to make sure that perian is used for working with the avi file...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have a look at Video Monkey too

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.11
Hi chas_m,

You asked if I could be more specific about MPEG Streamclip not working:

After downloading MPEG Streamclip I clicked on "Open Files" the result was a white box where the 1st frame of the clip should have been appearing (the name of the correct file was appearing above this white area). Doubtful, I proceeded with the conversion to "Export to MPEG-4", but not surprisingly this resulted in the same empty whiteness. For some reason it couldn't read it.

Cheers,
Gaby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
I use Total Video Converter for everything. The program will convert any video file to ANY video file. It's great! I think its like 20 or 30 bucks but it is well worth it.

C

chas_m

Hi chas_m,

You asked if I could be more specific about MPEG Streamclip not working:

After downloading MPEG Streamclip I clicked on "Open Files" the result was a white box where the 1st frame of the clip should have been appearing (the name of the correct file was appearing above this white area). Doubtful, I proceeded with the conversion to "Export to MPEG-4", but not surprisingly this resulted in the same empty whiteness. For some reason it couldn't read it.

Cheers,
Gaby

Adding Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian should do the trick and make MPEG Streamclip (or any of the other conversion programs) work as you expect.

Reaction score
Converting .VOB files to MPEG4 using Streamclip

Hi Chas M,

I just read what you suggested to Gaby last year, who also owns a Mac OSX 10.4.11 as I do. I am trying to convert .VOB files to MPEG4 Do you know if downloading Perian and Flip4Mac WMV player as you suggested to her, will help me do that? I have been trying to find a free conversion software. I already have MPEG Streamclip but I don't want to buy the MPEG 2 Playback Component since I read on Apple forum, that many people were angry about buying it and then finding out that they only ended up with the video portion of their conversion, but no audio. Some had success with it but others did not.

I have a PowerBook G4 Mac OS X 10.4.11 (2005).

Thanks!
MLK3329

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Bok Pro Snow Leopard New to Mac and so far it is the best
A member suggested handbrake.... and frankly It is easy to use and the quality is good.... you can actually change most format into mp4 with handbrake give it a try

Reaction score
I need to convert -1.m4v to .avi on my Mac OS 10.4.11

All the suggested programs on this thread require Mac OS 10.5 + Does anyone know of a converter that I can use on my older Mac Powebook G4?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.