Graphics card questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I'm sure it would still last a while the 4800 series are decent cards, and macs definately out perform similar systems that are pc's as well. I run windows 7 x64 and macos 10.6.2 and i split the drive down the middle. I find that macs run windows better the pc machines do and some of my games run alot nicer on my mac as well . The choice is ultimately up to you.

Personally. I'm 24 going on 25. And i'll be saving for a full year to puchase myself an iMac , so I might as well wait for the next gen iMac to come out. Every release always puts on a smile :)

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
I've heard that apple has something coming around the corner if its iMacs and graphic cards then I'll be happy, although I'll probably get a new iMac next year (a 2011 model) if they haven't got ones like the 5970 (or the best/fastest one up to date) or swappable ones then i'll go with the mac pro, but its like 10k to get one with 12 gig of ram and a 30" screen (2.26 8 core, 3.33 quad core cots more, same ram & screen :/)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've heard that apple has something coming around the corner...

Apple always has "something" around the corner...it just may not be what you're looking for!

- Nick

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
Apple always has "something" around the corner...it just may not be what you're looking for!

- Nick

Yes, hmmm, well I''m gonna get a part time job next year and save for a mac pro.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, hmmm, well I''m gonna get a part time job next year and save for a mac pro.

After all of this "Blah, blah, blah"...about video cards...there's actually nothing wrong with your 24" Imac. A lot of people would love to have it!!!

- Nick

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
After all of this "Blah, blah, blah"...about video cards...there's actually nothing wrong with your 24" Imac. A lot of people would love to have it!!!

- Nick
Yes your right, I just don't want to use up my nvidia's live to fast.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes your right, I just don't want to use up my nvidia's live to fast.

What makes you think that your computer has a fixed amount of "life"? I've seen you mention this before in this thread...and it's kind of confusing.

What do you think you're using up?

- Nick

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
What makes you think that your computer has a fixed amount of "life"? I've seen you mention this before in this thread...and it's kind of confusing.

What do you think you're using up?

- Nick

Its not my computer I'm talking about, its the graphics card, I don't think it has a fixed life to it, its just that it mightn't last longer since nVidia's aren't good for 3D at all and using full on 3D means it could get hotter, faster, waring it down, its a good graphics card though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not my computer I'm talking about, its the graphics card, I don't think it has a fixed life to it, its just that it mightn't last longer since nVidia's aren't good for 3D at all and using full on 3D means it could get hotter, faster, waring it down, its a good graphics card though.

Well that's still my point...who says your graphics card has a fixed amount of life or hours. And even if it does who knows how long that is?

Could be tomorrow, could be next week...could be 5 years from now. If you're worried about using your computer the way you want to use it (which sounds like gaming)...then you might as well put the computer up for sale tomorrow...and be done with it.

Use that darn thing the way you want to...or get rid of it!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.93 GHz--Powerbook G4 400 Mhz--Mac Mini G4--Macbook Pro 17" 3.0 GHz--30" Apple Cinema Disp
I totally agree with bobtomay. If you want the ability and accessibility of being able to change and upgrade parts, the you should definitely look into building your own PC. If you want to learn more go to your local library and pick up some books on the subject. Also, check youtube to videos involving the terms "custom gaming computer". Best of luck!

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
hmmm yes, but I could just get a mac pro and use boot camp on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.93 GHz--Powerbook G4 400 Mhz--Mac Mini G4--Macbook Pro 17" 3.0 GHz--30" Apple Cinema Disp
I believe in the end It would be beneficial to go the PC route mainly because Mac's aren't very good at gaming. Bootcamped or not. Also, a Mac Pro may have the availability to have interchangeable graphics cards, but it does not use them the same way as a PC would. For instance, the Mac Pro can use 3x NVIDIA GTX 285's, but will not achieve the equivalent Frame rates as a PC with 3 of the same cards because Mac Pro's DO NOT use SLI or CROSSFIRE. This will result in less productive 3D rendering and processing , causing lower frame rates.

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
1, what is SLI and CROSSFIRE

2, nVidia's aren't good for 3D, from what I've heard

3, If I got a mac pro, I'd configure it with just 1 standard nvidia, then buy a ATI Radeon HD 5970, or which ever one is new and up to date at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only problem with your logic to put a 5970 into a mac pro is that it won't work. Currently the Fastest card you can put into a MP would be a NVIDIA gtx 285 (for gaming) or a NVIDIA QUADRO (for 3D design). Only a few cards can work on the MP's board at the moment. Most cards out there that are for gaming are not compatible with the MP's board structure and programming. Also, NVIDIA SLI and ATI CROSSFIRE are system configurations which allow multiple graphics cards to work together to produce higher frame rates. And to refute your statement that Nvidia cards cant 3D render well, most Architectural designers use NVIDIA's QUADRO's to design because the FireX series from ATI have too many bugs. =)

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
I hope these problems for the mac pro get fixed. What about iMacs? I'd wait 'till they fix all the problems with the 27" , whatever they are. Also, what bugs do the ATI's have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ATI cards have been know (both in gaming and in 3D rendering) to stall, flicker, and lag when under a full load. This mostly happens on larger monitor (from what I've heard from about 1900x1200 and up) Also, many game developers recommend using Nvidia cards because most (not all) games are developed by computers using Nvidia graphics, therefore allowing easier streamlined use by other Nvidia cards. Also, one final word about the MP problem, the 5000 series cards from ATI are ranging from 12.5-13.5 inches long, the MP can only house a 12" card, and also does not have a PSU to support anything more than a 4870.

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
Ok... How good is the NVIDIA 9600 GT?, and how many inches long is it? Can the mac pro house that? Man, Apple really needs to support swappable graphics cards in the iMacs, the current ones come with ATI Radeon HD 4870. Whats the resolution for a 30" HD cinema display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air M1 2020 Base, Space Gray | Mac Mini M1 2020 Base, Space Gray
2 nVidia's aren't good for 3D, we all know that.

You keep saying this.

Can you explain what you're talking about? I've been using Nvidia and ATI video cards in my PCs for YEARS, at least since 1999. Both are very capable video card manufacturers. In my experience, Nvidia cards are very competitive with ATI cards. I've been using Nvidia cards almost exclusively the last 5 years and I'm a huge FPS guy and have played competitively in matched games.

So, we don't all know that Nvidia cards aren't good for 3D, as that's the first I've heard someone EVER saying that...we don't all know that, but only because you're dead wrong.

I know you're only 14, but wrong is wrong.

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
You keep saying this.

Can you explain what you're talking about? I've been using Nvidia and ATI video cards in my PCs for YEARS, at least since 1999. Both are very capable video card manufacturers. In my experience, Nvidia cards are very competitive with ATI cards. I've been using Nvidia cards almost exclusively the last 5 years and I'm a huge FPS guy and have played competitively in matched games.

So, we don't all know that Nvidia cards aren't good for 3D, as that's the first I've heard someone EVER saying that...we don't all know that, but only because you're dead wrong.

I know you're only 14, but wrong is wrong.

I've seen other ppl on this forum say that nVidia's aren't good for 3D so thats why I said it, but recently I've changed my mind and edited the post which you quoted.

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
How good is the NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT compared to the NVIDIA gtx 480 or 395 or 285 (which ever one is best for gaming)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.