iMac 27" question

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a new 27" iMac but an not sure about some of the options. I'm basically a very light user, mostly just surfing the web, email, iTunes, photos (no editing), and watching movies.

Given that I don't "do much", is there any reason to go above the 3.06 Ghz duo, 4 GB RAM, and the 256mb video card?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody 13" MBP, 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB; iMac G4, 1GHz, 768MB, 80GB
The only bonus that I can think of for getting a better computer is "future-proofing". So that you can use the computer for a long time.

Otherwise that config will easily handle what you do on the computer.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you. What would you specifically change to future-proof the comp somewhat?

Also, does your same conclusion hold if i was to play full-screen blu ray movies?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're only going to be doing what you stated, then that iMac will last you a LONG time. We're talking 5+ years here.

The only hardware limitation you'll face is if you start playing graphics intensive games; that video card will probably last you 3-4 years, maybe 5 if you're willing to put up with low settings on the latest game out at the time. If you start photo editing you might want to upgrade the memory once you really get into it, but it's better if you do that on your own and prices are only going to drop further anyway.

The base 27' iMac is perfect for you, there's no need for you to spend more money than you have to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you only ever will do what you say, heck even the lowest 21.5 inch imac will suit your needs perfectly with computing power to spare. So the 27 inch one you listed will overkill really. But what kash said about future proffing your mac is a very good point. As only Macintoshes last long enough in a (can use the latest stuff) state to need ot worry about future proofing.

So in saying that, the 21.5 inch imac will suit your needs just fine but if you really want a 27 inch it'll suit your needs just fine too. Only difference is the 27 inch is a little more future proof.

Future Proof = getting a computer that will still be able to use the modern things long into the future. Say 5+ years as Kash said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I am a moderate/heavy user and my 24" 3.06 works wonderfully.

Enjoy the 27"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
You DO realize it's a major offense to post like that without pictures, right?

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.