That was Easy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I opened up my late 2008 15.4 MBP to see what configuration of RAM I had. I am going to upgrade to 4GB from the factory two. It took about five minutes to open the thing up.

Are the 2009's the same? I have a new one waiting for my mom to get back from... um... I forget where she is. Somewhere in Europe. Maybe I'll open it up just to see what it looks like inside.

DSC00389 (800 x 600).jpg

DSC00390 (800 x 600).jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The latest MBP 15" models already have 4 Gb of memory installed. No need to open it up and look to see what's inside. You know that old story about what curiosity did to the cat? ;D

Regards.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
The latest MBP 15" models already have 4 Gb of memory installed. No need to open it up and look to see what's inside. You know that old story about what curiosity did to the cat? ;D

Regards.

Its hard to resist. I know the new ones have 4GB, but I have a 2008. I won't remove the RAM like I did mine, but I would like to see if this new irreplaceable battery is truly irreplaceable.
If I do open it (what mom doesn't know won't hurt her) I'll post pics and maybe a video.

C

chas_m

Uh, your last post sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

First of all, you'll be voiding her warranty. She may not like that.

Second, let me save you some time -- YES, the irreplaceable battery is irreplaceable.

I really would leave other people's property alone if I were you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And you would feel exactly how?... if one of your friends took apart your $2,000 piece of electronics because they just wanted to see... and something happened... or nothing happens until 6 months later when you take it to the manufacturer for repair and they tell you it'll cost $800 to fix because your warranty is void. I'd venture to say, you'd not be too happy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Uh, your last post sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

First of all, you'll be voiding her warranty. She may not like that.

Second, let me save you some time -- YES, the irreplaceable battery is irreplaceable.

I really would leave other people's property alone if I were you.

Not that I disagree with you insomuch that the machine shouldn't be opened unless the OP has his mother's permission, but I do believe the cover can be removed without voiding the warranty. Apple actually provides instructions for the procedure as part of their memory upgrade documentation (which is considered user-serviceable).

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Did I forget to mention I bought the laptop for her?

and its not like I don't have experience opening laptops. I have 12 years of IT experience; I've been fixing laptops since I lost my job in September. I buy them off Craigslist, fix them and sell them on eBay. It isn't much but its enough to cover certain expenses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.