Verizon FiOS and Airport Extreme WIRELESS???

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been scouring the internet looking for a solution, and while I've found several similar situations, I haven't found help for my exact problem, so posting time it is. Here is the situation:

I have just bought an Xbox 360, and I want to connect it to the internet. My Fios base station (9100EM) is located in my bedroom, on the other side of the house from the Xbox. Rather than buyinga $100 Xbox wireless receiver, I would like to set up my Airport Extreme as a network extender so that I can use a Cat5 with the Xbox, eliminating the need for the $100 piece of hardware.

So, basically, I want my setup to look like this:

1. Coax cable from outside house connected to Verizon router (9100EM)
2. Airport Extreme located in living room connected WIRELESSLY to the 9100EM (I cannot run wires all the way down the hall...)
3. Xbox 360 connected to AEX via LAN.

This seems like it should be easy, but I am finding no help. There are articles explaining how to set up an Express and Extreme (all apple products) which I don't have, and plenty of insructables on how to use a second router as a wired 'bridge', but nothing explaining how to do this wirelessly. I have read something about WDS, which the 9100EM does NOT support, to my knowledge. Can I do this thing I want to do? If not, is it possible to use a Netgear WRT whatever as a bridge to the FiOS router, THEN setup a wireless WDS network? I think I can get my hands on a netgear, if I have to....

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
There are a lot of folks here who far better at network questions than I, but since you haven't gotten an answer I'll try to help.

I believe you will need (I would borrow if possible to verify compatibility first) a router that supports WDS. Linksys WRT54G is one I know does, as does obviously Apple Extreme and Express. Wired bridge to the new router from your FIOS as you mentioned then setup the new router as the base and the Extreme as your remote. Below are some links that might help.

AirPort Utility 5.1 Help: Extending the range of your wireless network

Extend a Linksys WRT54G network via AirPort Express - Mac OS X Hints

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.