How do I best get Mac games?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New Mac user here. Just wanted to ask what is the best way to get games for my beautiful Mac Pro.

Option 1: Having it shipped in a box by ordering from apple.com
Option 2: Downloading from Steam and playing via boot camp
Option 3: Ditching boot camp and downloading from D2D or Gamersgate
Option 4: Torrents (?)

Would really appreciate your opinion on this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A bit of a subjective question, no?

Personally, I like Steam via Windows. Mac games are few and far between, and those that are "ported" are usually done via Cider (an API abstraction layer) and are really just Windows games anyway - so why have the overhead?

As far as Torrents, be aware that we don't allow discussion of illegal activity here, including piracy.

Reaction score
When I get my mac games, I go to any apple premium, authorized resailer, or an apple retail store, some shops can sell them cheaper than the online apple store (NFS carbon and Next Byte on, was it Flinders street, costed $80 Aus, My Mac in Ivenhoe (I have no I dear how to spell it) costed $50 Aus, so check a few stores and get best value. Oh and buy second-hand mac games of something like Ebay is a big risk (some mac games are protected by a license code so that they only run one one mac and to stop piracy)
Hope this helps.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry. The only reason why I included torrents in there is because a friend brought that up as I was typing the post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.