Airport Extreme upgrade?

Reaction score
Hello,

i have recently converted my garage to an office and am trying to get my airport network to reach out there. I have just bought Airport Extreme and also have an Airport Express. I have a macbook pro from 2007 and it keeps dropping the signal. My wife's newer macbook works fine with five bars and i didn't need to set it up.

Does this mean i need to upgrade my airport card in my macbook pro?

many thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am far from a networking expert, but I'm not sure I understand your question/set up. You mention wanting to extend your network range to include your garage and also say you have an Airport Express in addtion to your Airport Extreme base station.
Is the Airport Express in the garage and have you set up a WDS with the Express configured as a remote to the base?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am far from a networking expert,

Hey...I thought you were an expert when you helped me yesterday!...I want my money back!!!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey...I thought you were an expert when you helped me yesterday!...I want my money back!!!;)

- Nick

You got it . . . I'm sending back double what you paid for it. :)
BTW: Any success?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You got it . . . I'm sending back double what you paid for it. :)
BTW: Any success?

Double my money back...AWESOME!;)

I'm going to "try" to give it a try today...but I'm not looking forward to the headaches!:( I hate working on networking projects.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 tower, powerbook, macbook pro (and a few more)
Hi there.
Need a little more info.
Your macpro should be fine. It maybe the way you have set up the wireless network.
Where the extreme and express are located.
When you put the extreme in did you set it up allowing it's network to be extended?
I assume the express is now in the garage to extend the network?

When you use airport utility on you mac do you see both wireless devices?

Sorry need a little more info.

And cheap at the price.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
It also depends which Extreme you have the squarish ones will do cover better than 112 feet line of sight but to do that with the round ones you really need another Airport as an extender. As clearercape says - more info needed.
When it comes to setting up often it is better to connect Airport to Mac with ethernet lead first and input set up info before placing units where u hope they will work. Do extreme first and allow it to be extended and then do Express

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies, so a little more information.....When i plug in the express in my house both extreme and express are 'seen' in airport utility. When i go out to the garage both disappear. When i have the express plugged in the garage the green light stays on but my macbook pro can't see it. As i mentioned before my wife's macbook works fine.

My Extreme (version 7) is plugged in to my O2modem via ethernet cable into the wlan port and my extreme is set to 'create a wireless network. There is 1 wireless client showing. Radio mode is saying automatic, as is radio channel selection. On the Internet tab it says Connection sharing: Distribute a rang of IP addresses.

My express (version 6.3) says 'Join a wireless network' and Connect Using: wireless network.

does that help anyone?

thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a good place to start.

AirPort Utility 5.1 Help: Extending the range of your wireless network

With the Express plugged into your house go through the configuration setup for WDS, setting the Extreme to base and Express to remote. Once that is working (I had to do it three times to get the configuration changes to stick for some reason) you can move the Express unit to your garage and it should work; I'm basing this off the fact that your wife's Macbook appears to be able to pick up the base in garage, which implies sufficient signal strength for the Express to pick it up.
If that doesn't work then you'll have to go onto step two, how to get more signal into the garage. A different issue and beyond my skill level, but I've seen some good articles on this if you have to go that route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.