Dj's and their Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1
At the front of the Dj booth you'll see a nice new MacBook perched there but what is it actually doing?

Is it their for file storage, apps and software for dj-ing or just iTunes?

Anyone fill me in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
It depends. There are the ones that purchase 80GB's of music from the Apple Store and call themselves iTunes/iPod DJ's while using thier Mac. :Grimmace:
And there are the ones, like myself, that have studied the craft and learned how to make a club rock by actually using:
- Mac Book Pro
- mixers
- midi controllers
- audio interfaces
- turntables
- vinyl records
- DJ programs
- lighting
- video
and back-up 1TB hardrives with MP3 songs that we have acquired from our "bought" CD's and records. ;D

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1
So it's mainly a storage think, which saves you carrying around the old crates of 12"s?

Have the Sashas, Graeme Parks, Digweeds and Carl Cox's of this world now gone MP3 mixing or do they still get the vinyl out. I guess you can do both together?

I haven't been in a nightclub since the 90's so I just don't know, then I saw Dj Neil Armstrong get a MacBook out for a gig with Jay-Z.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 15.4" Santa Rosa (C2D, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)
I too, have been dabbling in the craft, mostly to learn it as best as possible, and sporting the results on family and friends at parties, get-togethers and such, in order to progress my skills... I am not anyone "amazing" or "awesome" or "mind-blowing", but at the least I'm starting to build my setup with a good MBP, a copy of dJay, a Numark iPod station, some amps, and such.. my next step will be acquiring lighting, once I get truly comfortable (not just familiar) with this stuff, and can feel I can hold my own for a good 2-3 hour party.. THEN I'll feel like I'm starting to accomplish something... not bad for a 40-year old geezah.. LOL

Reaction score
I Just purchased a black macbook and i am using it to run serato itch which runs off my numark ns7...and it's not just a storage tank...those are the external hard drives...in my case my macbook is the brains of my operation. and like juke listed there can be many things a "dj" uses his/her macbook for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Went to see Tina Turner a couple of months ago and we were right behind the box with the sound & light engineers ....
They had about 10 MBP's running the complete sound and light show ...interesting stuff to watch.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.