Mac Mini as a private hosting server, but how?

Reaction score
It has always been my dream to set up a dedicated server. Now that Apple did with Mac Mini server, I have decided to invest this when the next upgrade comes.

Currently I am hosting a wordpress blog and mail on my webhotel, and that's all. I plan, however, to expand a little when I get my own server.

I wonder, can I easily put over my wordpress blog as it is today in the OS X server?

Can I use a Mac Mini-server as a traffic shaping-device to share a 30/30mbit line so that only the 10/10 proceeds to the router where all the other PCs are connected? (Internet (30/30) - Mac Mini Server - (USB-ethernet cable) - Router - wireless and wired network to the other PCs in my home network)

Is it possible to set specific processes to only use one core? I am wondering to use it as a media server every once in a while, but then it has to be possible to only use one of the cores so that the other, more important processes gets higher priority.

The plan is therefore to host 4-5 domains with web hosting (minimal traffic, only a few blogs), mail server for all domains (perhaps 10 email accounts in total), backup of lots of pictures (my long term goal is to have backup functionality for the whole family's best images), seedbox for torrent seeding(50GB traffic a month, mostly upload, minimal download. LEGAL traffic btw), FTP server and perhaps more small stuff as opportunities presents themselves.

Do you have any thoughts on how I can get this to work as good as possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
Yes, you can do most of what you're considering. Here is an outline of what to consider:

How To Set Up A Mac mini Server? : Mac mini Server | Tips and Information On Running A Mac mini Server

I'm curious though. Why? If you're only planning on hosting a few blogs, a few mail accounts, and a minimal amount of other basic tasks why would you want to spend that kind of money and time when those services are widely available from hundreds (thousands?) of providers that will manage everything you describe for a few dollars a month.

Having operated web and mail servers I can tell you it's a lot of work to manage and maintain. Based on the goals you've described I'd just pick up a regular Mac Mini (I can attest that they make terrific media servers) and build yourself a nice media machine. Let others do the heavy lifting.

Before you go down the "my own server" path do yourself a favor and get some additional education about the subject. If you do your homework I think you'll quickly realize that it's probably more than you need in both cost and time. If you do decide to go that direction you should look into a colo option where you pay for dedicated server equipment. Again, let someone else handle the technical elements while you manage the creative side. My two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac Minis, Mac Mini Servers
Running your own server can be an educational experience itself. At some point you just have to dive in and I think the mac mini server is the prefect entry point.

I recommend shipping your server to a data center rather then running it at home. Most broadband service providers prohibit running services like web and mail. Also, other mail servers on the Internet will likely reject e-mail coming from a dynamic IP range, or even a range assigned for broadband usage. Its just not worth all the headaches and remember most broadband have a poor SLA agreement so you never know when you'll be down.

Why not ship your server to a data center and pay as little as $30 per month? That gives you a full 10M connection, backup everything and most important basic support. You'll be able to e-mail, or call someone if your really in a pinch. If nice to learn and also have a safety net.

Check out www.macminiworld.net for example. There is also a dedicated option if you don't want to worry about hardware.

In my opinion this is your best route.

Good luck!

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you dwright!
I doubt I will ever find a place in Norway I can get 10MB at a data center for any less than $100.
I will have to check up on how my ISP is when it comes to blocking mail, I know they let me have a static IP though for about a buck a month.

Reaction score
Thank you dwright!
I doubt I will ever find a place in Norway I can get 10MB at a data center for any less than $100.
I will have to check up on how my ISP is when it comes to blocking mail, I know they let me have a static IP though for about a buck a month.

Does it have to be in Norway? Like dwright said, MacMiniColo.net can supply a Mac Mini and have you up and running in a few hours to a couple of days max.

Reaction score
Check out www.macminiworld.net for example. There is also a dedicated option if you don't want to worry about hardware.

Dwright, you give great info, but all of your posts lead to this company. If you have an association, it's probably common courtesy to disclose.

As for the topic on hand, I agree with you Nimrad, a dedicated server would be a nice way to go. As others mentioned, it's probably not necessary in your case but if you want to do it to learn, no harm in that.

On a side note, it sounds like all you want to do could be done on a regular Mac mini, so that may save you the extra $400 for the Server version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.