Moved Folder to Trash By Accident (didn't empty though)

Reaction score
Hello Mac Gurus-

Made the mistake of dragging a folder called "usr" that was in the main Hard Drive area to the trash. I thought it was for an outdated Blackberry program for Mac. After I did it my computer became unresponsive and everything froze up that I tried to do, even moving the folder back but it brought up a status indicator and didn't do it.

Then I tried to reboot and it kept giving me a message to restart the computer after the Apple symbol and wouldn't continue to boot.

My question is can I move this folder back into my HD from the trash bin and get my computer back working again in some sort of safe mode or something of the sort?

Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

You'll need to start up from another drive.

Alternatively, you can hook up this Mac to another one via Firewire Target Disk Mode and then should be able to move the usr folder back to its proper place.

You will most likely need to reinstall the system to get things completely back to normal. Are you running Snow Leopard or something earlier?

It's a pity you don't have a bootable "clone" backup. Would have been quite useful for this sort of situation. You may want to look at doing that in the future.

OP
K
Reaction score
After doing some reading on here I figured out how to move the file back to its place in my user folder in my harddrive by booting up with the DVD and using Terminal.

Problem is even after putting the folder back i'm still having problems restarting. Is there something else I need to do? I tried using Repair Disk in the Disk Utilities too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.