question:lacie dvd dual layer burner.

K

kittyandkelly

I'm thinking of buying a lacie dvd dual layer burner. i've seen the minimum requirements, it says that it needs 500MHz. i got an older model g4 powermac 450MHz, i wanted to know if the burner will crash or slow my mac

I'm hoping that maybe one of you folks might have a similar set-up so that you can give me the 411.

any answers will greatly be appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
kittyandkelly said:
I'm thinking of buying a lacie dvd dual layer burner. i've seen the minimum requirements, it says that it needs 500MHz. i got an older model g4 powermac 450MHz, i wanted to know if the burner will crash or slow my mac

I use mine on a G4 1.25GHz iMac with no problem, and I've used it on a G3 400MHz iMac, but didn't try to burn a LightScribe label. I think the minimum requirements have to do with bus speed for data-transfer I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

At a minimum I don't think it would crash or slow you down, it may just pop up with an error saying it's not supported but I don't see that happening. I would definately have a lot of ram (at least 384 - 512MB) first.

I think you'll be alright.

OP
E

ellaym

really??? did you actually burn a dvd with it? i have a g3/400 too and i just got a LaCie d2 +-RW dvd burner yesterday.

as i understand it, and if your g3/400 is like mine (ie, WITHOUT an internal dvd drive), you absolutely cannot burn a video dvd w/o also having an internal superdrive. burning cde and/or DATA dvds are ok apparently. am i mistaken...???

dale

I use mine on a G4 1.25GHz iMac with no problem, and I've used it on a G3 400MHz iMac, but didn't try to burn a LightScribe label. I think the minimum requirements have to do with bus speed for data-transfer I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

At a minimum I don't think it would crash or slow you down, it may just pop up with an error saying it's not supported but I don't see that happening. I would definately have a lot of ram (at least 384 - 512MB) first.

I think you'll be alright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
ellaym said:
really??? did you actually burn a dvd with it? i have a g3/400 too and i just got a LaCie d2 +-RW dvd burner yesterday.

as i understand it, and if your g3/400 is like mine (ie, WITHOUT an internal dvd drive), you absolutely cannot burn a video dvd w/o also having an internal superdrive. burning cde and/or DATA dvds are ok apparently. am i mistaken...???

dale

iLife 05' can burn to external burners fine and so can Toast

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
iLife '04, you will need to get patchburn. I just check and PatchBurn has tiger support.

OP
E

ellaym

trpnmonkey41 said:
iLife 05' can burn to external burners fine and so can Toast

data yes but video???-- i will find the macworld article link that i think said you needed an internal superdrive for dvd video burning to work (sounded strange to me too).

at any rate now that the lacie d2 is installed ive used it to backup data, but havent tried audio or media yet-- i can tell you that one weird thing is that the firewire and/or external drive icon does NOT pop up on your desktop-- only a dvd/cd icon if/when you put a dvd or cd in the drive.

also, after install lacies "disc recording software" (i believe this is supposed to make it work with the various apple applications like iTunes, iDvd, iMovie etc.). and then you go to system profiler and click on the firewire device it shows the lacie as NOT VENDOR SUPPORTED. i dont know what this will spell for me but i suspect it is related to the above issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
ellaym said:
data yes but video???

Yes. All iLife 05 apps work with external burners fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.