MBP 13" popping sound closing lid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I've started noticing that when I close the lid on my MBP 13" I get this loud popping sound frequently on the right hand side - as if it needs 3 in 1 oil or something. It's like a joint popping. I'm a bit concerned about this. Doesn't hamper closing the lid, but it's almost painful to hear. It almost feels as if it's being forced as I'm closing it. Any reason for legitimate concern do you think? BTW, this happens under normal use. MBP has been handled very gently and does not get transported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 tower, powerbook, macbook pro (and a few more)
Hi there
Have you tried muting the mac before closing the lid. Do you still get the pop when you do that?

If you still get the pop there might be a lose or exposed cable at the speakers. Closing the lid does put a lot of strain around the hinges which happen to be where the speakers are.

If it happens all the time it is worth getting looked at. If you are out of warrantee it shouldn't be too costly. Unless you are willing to put up with the noise!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
For the benefit of anyone who happens to run into this issue, I did contact Apple support. The expert on the phone with me heard the hinge creaking over the phone and told me I should definitely take it in for repair. Apparently, this can occur with the MBP 13". Besides the creaking hinge sound, the lid also requires some extra force to close. Thanks to the above poster for the response. I will update post repair. Still under warranty as I bought the computer in July of 2009.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.