• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

On Sequence settings in FCP, and exporting in best quality?

Reaction score
Hope, someone can help me on this one. I'm editing a short trailer for a contest that's part of the CPH PIX film festival.

I've shot my video using a Canon Rebel T1i/EOS 500D DSLR camera. I've shot in the HD 1280x720 px quality. In that quality, the camera shoots in 30 fps.

I'm editing in Final Cut Pro 6.0.6.

The final product needs to be delivered in a certain quality and with the following specifications (CPH PIX - in danish...):

25 fps.,
720x576px,
16:9,
0.39 megapixels,
100%
de-interlaced

- I seem to have some problems getting my SEQUENCE SETTINGS right in FCP,

- and also EXPORTING without losing quality. The final export format should be .mov or .mp4.

- Is there a problem going from 1280x720 to 720x576, and from 30fps to 25fps?

- What does the "0.39 megapixels" refer to?

- How do I deinterlaze the best way - by adding the filter or in the export process (if possible)

Hope someone can help me on this one. Deadline approaching soon.

All the best // Kristian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro early 2009 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 16 GB 1006 MHz DDR3
On Sequence settings in FCP, and exporting in best quality

- I seem to have some problems getting my SEQUENCE SETTINGS right in FCP,

- and also EXPORTING without losing quality. The final export format should be .mov or .mp4.

- Is there a problem going from 1280x720 to 720x576, and from 30fps to 25fps?

- What does the "0.39 megapixels" refer to?

- How do I deinterlaze the best way - by adding the filter or in the export process (if possible)

First of all, to get a the fcp sequence settings to match your footage

1) create a new blank sequence
2) drop a clip into it
3) let fcp conform the sequence to match that of the footage attributes

Once doing this, go ahead and delete that clip.

Now, copy your edit that you've done and paste it into the sequence you just made.

Everything should be golden now.

Also, quick note. Don't worry about de-interlacing or mega-pixels cause those don't apply here (your camera shoots progressive aka non-interlaced and the word mega-pixel does'nt exist in the video world)

Finally, within that new sequence.

1) go to file>sent to>compressor
2) watch a quick tutorial on how to use compressor

HD Video Encoding for Vimeo using Compressor on Vimeo

3) now set the compressor settings to match the required specs.

Alright, I was very vague cause I'm busy at the moment, but feel free to ask any questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.