Help iphoto

Reaction score
hi
i am having problems with iphoto can anyone help
the first thing is wen i open a photo which is portrait it shows up as a explantion mark !!! but it shows the photo in the thumbnail and when i edit it
does anyone have any idea what i have done to this or if it is an error on the laptops behalf.
ps: it also pick random photo to show an explantion mark !!!
can ANYONE help please
thnks

C

chas_m

The exclamation mark generally indicates that the original photo is no longer where it is supposed to be.

iPhoto uses its own system to organize your photos, matching a thumbnail to a modified copy and keeping the original separate so that it can always be restored.

If you have moved or tampered with the iPhoto Library, you have ruined the database and may have lost some of your photos. Apple makes the iPhoto Library very difficult to access precisely to prevent this from happening.

What happens if you select one of these "exclamation point" pictures and choose "revert to original?" Does the exclamation point go away?

If you have NOT tampered with the iPhoto Library, you can try using some of the restorative options. They can be invoked by starting up iPhoto with the command and option keys held down. I would recommend trying just the first four options FIRST, using the fifth and sixth options only if the first four failed to solve the problem -- and, as it says in the instructions, make a backup of the library before doing anything.

OP
R
Reaction score
iphoto help

Thanks very much, managed to rectify by reverting to original for all photos as you suggested. Really appreciate it. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"/3.06/4GB/1TB/512/SD/MSE/KB
The exclamation mark generally indicates that the original photo is no longer where it is supposed to be.

iPhoto uses its own system to organize your photos, matching a thumbnail to a modified copy and keeping the original separate so that it can always be restored.

If you have moved or tampered with the iPhoto Library, you have ruined the database and may have lost some of your photos. Apple makes the iPhoto Library very difficult to access precisely to prevent this from happening.

What happens if you select one of these "exclamation point" pictures and choose "revert to original?" Does the exclamation point go away?

If you have NOT tampered with the iPhoto Library, you can try using some of the restorative options. They can be invoked by starting up iPhoto with the command and option keys held down. I would recommend trying just the first four options FIRST, using the fifth and sixth options only if the first four failed to solve the problem -- and, as it says in the instructions, make a backup of the library before doing anything.

I had the same problem too, when you said moving or tampering photos, does that include merging them together? Because that wouldn't make sense, why would they let you do that if it is going to mess up your photos. I had to delete all of mine. :(

Thanks for the info, I was going crazy!
Kim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you open iphoto library, it actually opens the application, in order to keep the contents of the library safe.
In order to mess with the contents of the library, you need to right click to show contents.
This is where people get stuck! ...When they mess with the contents, instead of going to the application and working with photos from there.
As a safeguard, I always put a copy of any photo in my pictures folder before putting a photo in iPhoto, that way if I were to alter or delete anything (somehow), I always have duplicates of the originals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.