Looking for an app which will log and store private info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I realize that I can simply use text edit or MS Word to create documents for storing private information such as web site log-in names and passwords, but was wondering if there might be a more elegant solution which would also include password protection ?

Thanks !

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1Password is what you're looking for. Even has an iPhone app (with double password protection) so you can carry all your passwords with you

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks Bob. Anything similar with a smaller price tag ? Like saaaaaaaay... free ?

Doug

Edit: Nevermind. I just looked at its features and wouldn't think that there'd be anything similar for free. Pretty cool program worth considering I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I have to second 1Password. I just can't imagine not having it anymore. It'll be the best money you spend on software in a long time! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Something like Hide Folders Doug ??

Not sure if its the path you are wanting to go down or not.
But i have all my very personal doc's in this and its password protected.
It actually hides the folders so you cant see them anywhere

Cheers

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks DRmac. I'll look at that as well. What's funny is that I tend to forget the apps which are already available in OS X. Even ones that are used by the system every day. For example: Keychain Access. Duh...

Though, 1Password is incredibly convenient and a lot more useful for lazy folks such as myself..

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something like Hide Folders Doug ??

Not sure if its the path you are wanting to go down or not.
But i have all my very personal doc's in this and its password protected.
It actually hides the folders so you cant see them anywhere

Cheers

I actually had Hide Folders. Found the free version absolutely useless and insulting to be honest with you. Unless you actually pay for the real version, it hides absolutely nothing. On the surface it might seem like it does, but if someone is sitting at your computer, and sees the hide folders icon they might click on it, which reveals all of your "hidden stuff". Since I found it to be a gimmick in order to get you to pay for the real thing, I said goodbye.

For sensitive data i have a hidden folder which was created by means of terminal. It works for the most part, but isn't fool proof since its security depends upon ME clearing the most recently opened path/folder in Finder. If I forget to do that, it's very easy for someone who knows what they're doing to get that info.

For now, Keychain Access seems to be the most reasonable, free and already existing solution for OS X. Thanks though buddy.

Doug

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Check out Keeper Password & Data Vault. It's secure, free, and works perfectly. Really nice interface.

EDIT: Nevermind. I wasn't paying attention. I was thinking of iPhone apps, not OS X apps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you really want free, I'd suggest using software that ships with every Mac - the Keychain.

I used it for over 2 years before I sprung for 1Password.
Open it up, I think in the File menu, select 'Create new Secure Note'.
I kept secure notes for all my passwords, logins, software codes and keys along with a lot more. Requires your password to open it and to view any of it's contents.

Really easy to move from system to system also. Moved that single file (login.keychain) from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6 without issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I actually had Hide Folders. Found the free version absolutely useless and insulting to be honest with you. Unless you actually pay for the real version, it hides absolutely nothing. On the surface it might seem like it does, but if someone is sitting at your computer, and sees the hide folders icon they might click on it, which reveals all of your "hidden stuff". Since I found it to be a gimmick in order to get you to pay for the real thing, I said goodbye. Doug

Ohh i failed to state i have the pro version ...
Works very well though.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.