iBook G4 admin password

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac and I just purchased a used iBook G4 from craigslist and it works great. The only problem is that I don't have the admin username and password so I can't install anything. The seller can't get it for me either. I knew this when I purchased it.

So I was going to purchase a set of OS discs to try to reset the password or do a clean install. The iBook has OS X 10.4.11 installed. Do I need to find a .11 or greater install disc? Can I use a set of discs that are 10.4.6 or will that give me problems?

I am concerned that a previous version might not work with the built in hardware of the mac book like the aircard or something similar.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You either need a generic Tiger DVD (Black face) or the machine specific discs for the iBook G4 (which will most likely be Panther 10.3)
You wont get discs that are 10.4.11 for example, they will be 10.4 and then software update will do the rest once you have installed.
Likewise if you get original discs, they will be 10.3 and software update will get you to 10.3.9.
Biggest issue for you is that Tiger still sells for good money, so you are not going to have a cheap option if you wish to keep Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
the 10.4.6 discs should be fine. Once installed you'll run updates to get you back to 10.4.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 tower, powerbook, macbook pro (and a few more)
You will need an install disc. With a install disk you can reset the admin password.
You can down load it and either make a new install disk or install from an external drive. You can down load 10.4.11 from apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.