clone windows xp question

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this was answered already, but, I have a MBP that is partitioned, and backed up on the mac side by time machine/capsule. I didn't give enough space to the mac os and need to increase it. In order to do so I have to erase the windows xp data. I have two questions.

One, the easiest way would be to clone the windows side, that way I don't have to re-install all the programs, let alone the passwords and everything else. How do I do this, remember I'm not a geek.

Second, it would be easier to use something like Parallels, rather than boot camp. Is the emulation just as good as running the software in a native windows environment? I have some programs that load financial data charts, etc., besides the usual stuff. And if so how do I do it?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Can't help you with the cloning, but Parallels and Fusion will not run Windows as well as if it were running natively. It's sharing resources with OS X and will not be as fast when dealing with media or any other resource-intensive processes. It will be fine for most things, like Quicken and stuff like that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're trying to increase the size of your OS X partition, you can do it by reducing the size of your Windows XP partition. You will need to download the "CampTune" utility from Paragon. The utility will create a bootable disk for you which you can then use to non-destructively reduce the size of your Boot Camp partition. Afterward, use Disk Utility from your install DVD (boot with install DVD) to increase the size of your OS X partition to fill in the space that is now available after reducing the Boot Camp partition.

I hope you follow all that I wrote above. Be sure to follow directions carefully for CampTune. Download CampTune from here.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm not sure what you told me. CampTune will allow me to decrease the size of the windows xp partition without loosing any data? I'm not sure where my install DVD is. Is there another way, perhaps upgrade to 10.6, I now have 10.5

GXT

Reaction score
Just a quick question.... Why not upgrade

It is a bit expensive... ($100), but my rule is that if your are fighting the disk space issue now, it will only get wore later. Good news is that the upgrade is easy with Time Machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, but I'm not sure what you told me. CampTune will allow me to decrease the size of the windows xp partition without loosing any data? I'm not sure where my install DVD is. Is there another way, perhaps upgrade to 10.6, I now have 10.5

Yes, CampTune will non-destructively decrease or increase the size of a Boot Camp partition. Upgrading to Snow Leopard is not going to make any difference, the partition sizes will remain the same unless you do as I indicated above.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.