Deleting a program

Reaction score
I just bought my first Mac a few months ago and I downloaded an anti-virus for it call VirusBarrier X5. It soon became to much of a hassle to use the program so I deleted it. At least I thought I did. I deleted the icon to it and I thought that was all I needed to do. But every time I plug in a USB it scans it and there's still and icon on the toolbar. I downloaded AppZapper but that did me no good because the icon was already deleted.

How do I completely delete this program?

Also, what would you recommend for good Anti-Virus for Mac?

Thanks for your time,
-Tzby72

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Firstly, you will be told this a hundred times: an anti-virus is not necessary! The most you will ever need is a basic system cleaner such as OnyX, which makes sure everything is running cleanly. The program that you downloaded probably put a preference file here: User/Library/Preferences. Delete that file. Next, do a spotlight search of 'VirusBarrier' and delete and files that come up associated to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You might want to look if it has a uninstaller ...
Goto the icon in the menu bar and right click it to see if you can quit it.
If not install it again and then use appzapper.
If its anything like AppCleaner . it should get rid of everything this time, including anything left over from the previous install.
Dont waste your time effort or money with a antivirus for your Mac, as to this date in time there isnt any as such that are in existence.
If you are still worried about it read this post Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ.
Even though the thread is old it still pertains to today. There was a trojan going around in a torrent copy of iLife 09 but that really wasnt a worry either and if you dont dl dodgy stuff, you will be fine.
If you are running windows on your Mac though, that is another story.

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

Cheers
If you have anymore questions, dont be shy and ask away

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.