Trouble starting up G5 Imac

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an imac G5 running osx 10.4.11.
My problem is that the computer won't come on when I press the power button, eventually, after a number of attempts, it starts up. However, I am noticing it is getting worse and I have to press the power on numerous times before the computer will power on.
Is this a progressive problem eventually leading to me not being able to turn the computer at all or could it be something simple :(
I have rebooted from the original cd and ran a disk repair, but the problem comtinues

Many thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Perhaps the power button is simply not connecting properly/sticking? If it still starts up fine I don't think it is the system, it would more likely be a hardware issue

OP
R
Reaction score
I can't power up the computer at all now. I've done a bit of trouble shooting and it appears the logic board might need replacing, before I bring the computer to be fixed does anyone know can I save my data/files from the computer as I never made back-up :[ or will I lose them in replacing the board.

Is this expensive to fix or should I consider a new computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I have heard the price to buy + install is anywhere from 800 to 1000 $. It is much less if you install it yourself, but you risk making a mistake and causing further problems

OP
R
Reaction score
it's a new computer so :[
Is there anyway I get retrieve my files/data from the hard drive?
How is it done?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
FYI...current value of an iMac G5 is approx. $300 bucks...so be careful how much you spend on repairs.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try the suggestion that the power button could be going bad and manually short the leads real fast?

Besides the Motherboard it could be a power supply issue which would be a lot cheaper to replace. The Logicboard is quite expensive BTW.

Do you have any kind of a voltmeter or DVM? If so check all the voltages from the power supply. I am sure there is a chart somewhere on the internet. What model iMac G5 is this? Do you know the basic specs?

Replacing the Logicboard while expensive, would do nothing to your data on the Hard Drive unless the tech is a KLUTZ and hurts the hard drive in someway.

If you find for SURE it's the logicboard, take out the hard drive and purchase a cheap external case that supports the SATA hard drive in the iMac G5 and hook it to another machine.

PLEASE do give us the basic specs so I can check a service manual and get back to you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi dtravis, thanks for the help.
It's a 17" iMac G5 generation 2 ambient light sensor 1.8 ghz. I'm running OSX 10.4.11.
I followed a trouble shooting page on Apple, and removed the back of the computer.
LED light 1 on the logic board came on when plugged in, but when I powered on from the internal power button, no other lights lights came on at all, which it says is a logic board problem. The computer has been acting up the past couple of weeks and eventually refused to power up the other day.

The other thing is I live in Ireland and I'm not aware of any techs other than Apple approved which allows them to cost a fortune, just to look at your machine.

C

chas_m

Using the same instructions that got the back of the machine off, you should be able to also remove the hard drive.

Chances are high that all your data is perfectly okay (that's the good news). Just put the drive into a SATA-compatible USB2 and/or FW case and you should be able to preserve your data.

This machine is out of warranty but there's no harm in calling Apple and inquiring about your options. Worst they can do is say you're out of luck mate.

That machine had a good long run and while I know its v. inconvenient for it to have died, this day was going to come someday. It's most likely time to look at a new(er) machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Chas, Was thinking of new machine anyway, you're right I have got a good run out of it (and this is the first problem I've really had with it, and last : (). My biggest worry here is that through my own stupidity (not backing up data) I will lose all my files but hopefully I'll be able to save them.
Can I boot the iMac from my MacBook and retrieve the data from it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.