Importing Thunderbird Mail to Mac Mail

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm trying to convert Windows Mail (the mail client that ships with Vista) to Mac Mail. I've read several forum posts that suggest doing this through Thunderbird.
I installed Thunderbird on the PC and got it to import all of the Windows Mail.
I then installed Thunderbird on the Mac and copied over the profile/mail files and that worked great, I can now see all the mail on the mac in Thunderbird.

Next I should be able to use the Mac Mail "Import Mailboxes" command which then gives me the option of "Thunderbird" and I point it to the proper profile folder and it gives me the option to select/import each mail box (Inbox, drafts, sent, etc)

However, when the import completes after a few minutes, I only have one message in each of the Import mail folders instead of the 100's I should have.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Any chance Mail is still getting the messages from the IP server and not the folders in Thunderbird? You might want to double check that option.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have encountered the same problem - grateful if you can advise and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Use this I used this to convert my outlook pst file to Apple mail. But the procedure is the same. First I got my emails in Thunderbird. Copied that it in Mac and used Eudora Mailbox cleaner. It worked for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just use Outlook to Mail from Little Machines. It's only $10 and will save you many hours of fussing and cussing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in my case Outlook to mail did not work ... may be because my pst file was humongous ... but this pst to thunderbird to mac worked for me with Eudora Mailbox cleaner. You have to follow the instructions though ... above all it was FREE !!!

Reaction score
Thanks All. I am using Windows Mail (not outlook) which littlemachine does not support - any thoughts? shall I change the eml files to outlook format first or ...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My point is, if you are converting from thunderbird mbox to your mac mail, you first need to use Eudora Mailbox cleaner for that to work. No harm in giving that a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.