First time home recorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I own a Best Buy Special MacBook with a 350GB hard drive, 4GB of ram. I sell Macs at Best Buy
Hey There!
So i've been a (recorded) artist for about 2 years and up until now I have always gotten professionals to do my recordings. Money has become an issue since the studios prices have been jacked right up. I plan on recording an EP from home. What would i need to connect my mics to my macbook? Cost is a factor so the cheaper the better, but i'm willing to spend more if the cost reflects the quality.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
What is your budget looking like and how many tracks are you looking to record at a single time?

C

chas_m

This isn't my area of expertise, but something like this I would think:

51h%2BM11LQTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: Behringer 802 8-Input Mixer: Musical Instruments

Reaction score
Until we know what your budget is and how many tracks you need to record simultaneously, like steelcityrocker pointed out, we can't really recommend devices yet.

And be advised that the mixer chas_m recommended is not multitrack.

C

chas_m

I didn't mean to suggest that I was recommending anything; the op mentioned connecting "mics" (more than one) to his Macbook: a mixer (any kind) gives him the option of connecting more than one mic. That's all I was saying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I am interested in the Op's recorded tracks. If you do pop back in, do you have a link to any of your music.
What genre is it. This is a perfect place to do a 'shameless plug' :)

dont you think chas_m ;P

OP
zaxterr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I own a Best Buy Special MacBook with a 350GB hard drive, 4GB of ram. I sell Macs at Best Buy
Hey sorry i've been busy with work lately and haven't checked my replies. i'm looking to spend around $300 and i usually record my vox aand my guitar at the same time and overdub the percussion later. but if the price needs to be higher i'm sure the visa can take a bit of a hit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Lots of good 2 input XLR options for around $300. Check out the Focusrite Saffire line, as well as the Presonus stuff. Both offer firewire interfaces that will do what you need it to do and sound very nice.

If you want to spend a little more money and go with something that is more definitively aligned with Mac, check out the MOTU line of interfaces, particularly the Ultralite Mk3.

Apogee also makes the Duet which has premium converters and simple operation for two XLR channels.

So lots of options for you depending on your expectations of price vs sound.

OP
zaxterr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i'm mostly just looking for something to make samples for booking agents

Reaction score
I've been doing the same thing using the Apogee ONE product and the end result is incredible!! I highly recommend it. Look it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.