Scanning problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 max (16-inch, 2021) & 2016 iPad Pro
I just bought an HP J4680c printer and am connected wireless. No problem with printing. When I try to scan, I get an unknown error message. I don't believe it's the printer since I am not having a problem scanning using a PC laptop.

Is there a setting on my mac book that I need to adjust? I'm using OS 10.6.2

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No setting on the MacBook other than what's provided by HP. I had the same problem with my Canon all in one until I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and wireless software from Canon.

Try the HP site to see if there is an updated driver package for your HP. Also look for any separate scanning or wireless software that might be available or an updated version. HP should have included a CD with software along with the printer. Make sure you have installed all the applicable software in addition to the drivers.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chscag, thanks.

The printer came with software and I'm using the HP scanner component. The HP program auto checked for updates, but that's not a guarantee either.

I recall reading a post in a previous thread about using a wireless connection with a printer and selecting a "bridge" or something in the settings. Of course I don't remember where I read that.

Yeah, I guess my next step will be to contact HP.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

Well, after much frustration of trying to get my MBP to scan using the printer, I went with my last option. I called HP's support.

After three automated questions I was transferred to a tech that actually spoke english, ... well, he was Canadian. :D We discussed the olympic games and the upcoming women's hockey game between Canada and the U.S. today.

The mac software that came with the printer did not support OS X 10.6

Directed to their website to download the correct software and now everything is working as advertised.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.