iPhoto frustrations

D

djmitch

FRUSTRATION #1: Currently, I'm unable to install my favourite photo-organizing program onto my Mac (Fuji FinePix Viewer) so I tried to import my masses of photo folders and sub-folders into iPhoto, which seems to be my only choice right now. Unfortunately, iPhoto's claim of being able to create folders and sub-folders upon dragging-and-dropping doesn't work. Here's the quote from one of the help menus:

"You can also drag individual photos or an entire folder from the Finder into iPhoto's photo viewing area. If you drag a folder, a film roll is created with the folder's name. If the folder you import contains subfolders, film rolls are created with each subfolder's name."

My response: BS! All my photos appear as just one big unorganized schmoz in that annoying iPhoto Library folder. If I try to create a new Folder it still doesn't respect the sub-folder organization on my hard drive. I'm so p****d off right now because I can't do ANYTHING to organize my photos. Any importing suggestions?

FRUSTRATION #2: Well, actually more of a question. If I change the organization of my photos in iPhoto (once I can actually import them) - say create/delete a folder - will this change be reflected on my HD folder(s)? It seems to me that iPhoto and my HD aren't integrated in this resect. I love FinePix Viewer because as you re-arrange photos there it does so automatically on the HD. Any thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
When I first setup iPhoto with my old pictures. I did the same as you and dragged the folders into the iPhoto viewing area. One of the options from the pull down menu is VIEW -> FILM ROLLS. This will separate your library by the folders that you dragged in.

Also, iPhoto sorts the pictures but the original date taken, so if you had taken pictures on May 5, 2005 but you didn't set the date on your camera and it was the default of say Jan 1, 2004. Then iPhoto will toss those photo's into the library as taken on 1/1/04 not 5/5/05. You can change the dates by selecting them and doing PHOTOS -> BATCH CHANGE.

I went through the same headaches a few weeks ago when I ffirst got my iMac. Now that I went through the hassels of getting my photo's into the correct time frames / Film Rolls / etc, I am very happy with the product.

Hope it helps,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Oh, also the HD files are sorted by date. So if a photo was taken on May 5, 2005 the folders would be something like: /Users/(User ID)/Prictures/iPhoto Library/2005/05/05/(Picture.JPG)

It seems to me that if you move the files around in iPhoto, that is has no affect on where it sits on the hard drive and that the new folder and organization is only referenced within the iPhoto application.

Thanks,
RAy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.