Frontpage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13", imac 21", iphone 16gb
Hi all you mac experts. I AM switching to a new imac shortly and I only have one reservation. I currently use MS frontpage for editing websites, I know it is not the the best but it has done the business for years without any issues. Do I purchase parallels and instal FP or find a mac alternative. Can you use iweb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I haven't coded webpages (for real) in about 5 years so take this in that context.

Frontpage will definitely work with Bootcamp and should work with Parallels or VMware. And if you have a bunch of sites coded in FP then you don't have any choice, since there is no FP program for OSX - assuming that one hasn't just come out that I never heard of.

Now to break for an opinion, FP is a lousy webpage builder for several reasons. Nonstandard, makes bloated code (not an exclusive problem FP, however), and just like Word, changes massively everytime MS updates the program.

IWeb however, is not a replacement. Or at most, a very lightweight replacement. I tried to build a simple site for a friend with it and it was just too "canned." But it definitely will build a site if you want. However, you aren't going to get server sided pages with it or do anything fancy, just HTML code.

But, if you are building from scratch, or your old sites aren't interlarded with tons of ASP code (don't confuse this with ASP.NET), there are many builders for OSX that will make good code, and it will be much closer to the coming HTML5.

SeaMonkey is one good HTML builder. It has replaced the old Mozilla Composer which was very good in it's day.

Here is a place to start...
Mac OS X Website Builder Face-Off - O'Reilly Media

C

chas_m

Good advice all around from ctpkrf.

Overall, I would encourage you to (and I know this is a pain, but) re-do all your old FP sites in something that produces at least marginally cleaner, more up-to-date code -- but it really depends on what sort of sites these are.

iWeb produces very nice, functional web sites for mostly personal-type sharing (blogs, picture galleries, that sort of thing) using templates. It's a hand-coder's worst nightmare, but its kinda the FP of Macintosh. :)

For something beyond the basics, you might look at Rapidweaver, Sandvox, or Freeway -- also template based, but much more flexible and write better code.

If you know enough HTML or XHTML/CSS et al to understand what is going on with your WYSIWYG type sites and can do your own tinkering, Seamonkey is an excellent choice, and you may want to consider moving up into the big-league apps like Dreamweaver and Flux (and there may be some other options along the way I've overlooked).

Lots of choices, but ultimately -- it's probably best that you re-do these sites in more modern code at some point. You can always continue to use FP via a Windows virtualising environment like Parallels (et al) if you don't want to tackle this chore right away. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 27"
I use MS Frontpage on the Parallels without any problems Kenny48.

Have you considered Freeway as an alternative?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replies. Initially I was thinking of Dreamweaver but I couldn't justify the cost. I looked at Sandvox but I'm not too keen on the template style design. Freeway looks good though which allows design from a blank page and the cost is more realistic. The thought of having to rewrite my sites from scratch is swaying me to stay with FP on parallels for the time being

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Give RapidWeaver a try, I used to use FP... years ago and found RW easy to use and created much better pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks for all the replies. Initially I was thinking of Dreamweaver but I couldn't justify the cost. I looked at Sandvox but I'm not too keen on the template style design. Freeway looks good though which allows design from a blank page and the cost is more realistic. The thought of having to rewrite my sites from scratch is swaying me to stay with FP on parallels for the time being

Download the trial from Adobe first for 30 days. It's the full version for 30 full days. Then you'll be able to justify the cost :)

Reaction score
I using Frontpage with bootcamp with no problems at all , only hassle is switching back and forth between operating systems

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all your replies. I am going to use FP with parallels in the short term and eventually purchase and learn Dreamweaver for the Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.