• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony DVD camcorder help needed!

Reaction score
Listen. I have 2 sony camcorders - the dcr-dvd403 and the dcr-dvd201. I have footage on two discs already that I need on my computer. I am not a computer geek, I am not super intelligent, and all I want is the footage to be on my computer so that I am able to edit it in iMovie or watch it in quicktime. I've already browsed many forums. I have no clue what MacTheRipper is, nor Handbrake, nor VLC. Nor do I know how to use them. Can someone tell me (using words as if they were talking to a brain-dead illegal immigrant who's never seen a computer in his life before) how I can get the footage off the two mini-DVDs and onto my computer in an editable format? (If possible.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Well lets see. First, you do not state what kind of mac you are using so you need to start off with a tray loading dvd drive. You cannot put those mini discs in a slot load or they will get stuck in there.

You need to finalize the discs in the camera so they are made playable.

Then you need to rip the dvds to the computer. I use handbrake often. It is free. Download it and install it. Put in the dvd open up handbrake. It will ask you for the source, select the dvd. On the of the handbrake window should be the presets for encoding. If not press the toggle presets button on the upper right corner. Select something like normal or high profile. Then click start. It will import the video file. Then you should be able to import the files into imovie.

You should know that the video quality will be very poor as the video files are compressed to the dvd.

When I entered the mac world I had one of those cameras too. I got rid of it on ebay and picked up a mini dv recorder. It uses little tapes and works much better for importing videos to the mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
OK. To clarify, I have a Macbook (from 9/2008), the DVD is finalized, and I am able to access it via a USB cable to my camcorder. I am able to see that my computer recognizes it there because it shos up and says MINIDVD_i9374blahblahblah. and it has like a TS(??) folder in it.

To reiterate though, I am not a computer geek. I do not understand words like "rip" and "encoding." Moreover when I try to use handbrake, it I click start, it says something like "No VLC detected," and gives me options like "get VLC," "try scan anyway," and "cancel scan."

Pro-tip for talking to me: try dumbing it down about 4.3 notches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Alrighty, lets see if we can make some progress.

Ok, that is good that it seems as though the computer is seeing the camera as a dvd drive. The Video TS file is good as well. That is pretty much what you would see on any dvd.

The term used to describe writing to a dvd from a computer it is Burn. When you copy a movie from a dvd to the computer, that is ripping.

I guess I have had handbrake installed for so long that I had forgotten that it uses VLC for the language. Go here:

VLC media player for Mac OS X

Download and install the one for whichever operating system you are using. To find out which operating system click on the Apple in the top left of your screen and select About This Mac and it will tell you.

Once you have installed VLC, which is just a movie player that is supposed to be able to play any video format, go back and open up Handbrake and pick the dvd as the source. Hit start and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So did you get it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.