Why won't Diablo II install on my Macbook?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to install my copy of Diablo II onto my Macbook, but I keep getting the message "You can't open the application Diablo II Installer because the Classic environment is no longer supported".

Why won't my Mac allow me to install it? My specs are higher than the recommended ones, and the copy is PC + Mac compatible.

Diablo II Requirements
Mac OS 8.1 or higher
G3 processor
64MB physical RAM + Virtual memory
650MB available hard drive space
4x CD-ROM drive
Video Support for 256-colour display.

My Specs

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2a02
Revision ID: 0x0003

I am also running on Snow Leopard if that helps.. Sorry, I am a PC/Mac "newbie".

However, I have heard about running this game through a program called Sheep Shearer.. is it illegal, and is it safe to use considering I have no anti-virus software?

One final question - Where can I get some free anti-virus software (a la AVG)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's because your copy of Diablo was designed to run on the "classic" Mac OS. Mac OS went through a complete transformation back in 2001, when the underpinnings of the OS were converted to a UNIX-like platform, hence the name "Mac OS X".

Older PPC-powered Macs could use "classic mode" to run older software like this, but since you have a newer Intel-powered Mac, classic mode is simply not compatible.

So, long story made short - just as some games that were made for Windows 95/98 won't work on Windows XP and newer, this ancient game simply won't work on a modern Mac.

But since the game has both Mac and Windows versions, you may be able to get away with running it via DOSbox or similar forms of emulation. Honestly though, I have very little experience with doing this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.