Should I sell my Macbook Pro Unibody?

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if i should sell my Macbook Pro unibody 15", I bought it in Oct 2009 with 2.8gigz, 500gb HD and 4GB DDR3 ram, i changed the keyboard lighting to green but the USB ports are not working right and I also dropped it from a foot so the top case has a little dent. I was just wondering if I should just sell it and get another one. About how much would it go for?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's really entirely up to you if you want to sell it. You never really gave any reasons for selling it...things that you can or cannot do with it!

OP
B
Reaction score
well because the cost of repairing the usb portion requires a logic board replace and i would also have to replace the top case to fix taht little dent.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well because the cost of repairing the usb portion requires a logic board replace and i would also have to replace the top case to fix taht little dent.

Should have mentioned that info in your initial post.

But you still haven't said that those non-functioning USB ports are important to you or not (such as connecting USB devices that you may or may not use)...and the dent it simply cosmetic.

If you sell it...and buyers know that they need to replace the logic board to get the USB ports to work...then you're clearly not going to get a very good price for it.

As it stands now (from your description)...the laptop is working fine except for the USB ports.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
on of the USB ports work, but not perfectly, i can only connect low power devices to it, so a bandaid solution was to buy an external hub that has its own power source.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on of the USB ports work, but not perfectly, i can only connect low power devices to it, so a bandaid solution was to buy an external hub that has its own power source.

If selling this laptop is something you want to do...give it a shot. It's a fairly recent model, you know what you paid for it...so list the laptop for a price you think is fair...and see if you get any offers.

Maybe it will sell fast, maybe it won't...but in either case it will be a learning experience.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
if you bought the laptop in oct 2009...its still under warranty...obviously they wont replace the case since you dropped & dented it...but they should replace the logic board if it is a faulty one...

if you are certain that its not something that you did which caused the usb/logic board issue...take it to a service centre!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you bought the laptop in oct 2009...its still under warranty...obviously they wont replace the case since you dropped & dented it...but they should replace the logic board if it is a faulty one...

if you are certain that its not something that you did which caused the usb/logic board issue...take it to a service centre!

Great idea about the warranty! Although the OP did mention dropping the laptop...which may have caused the USB issue.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I'm not sure, but I think when you opened up the laptop to change the color of the keyboard light you may have voided your warranty... My guess is that if they see you've opened the computer you can say good bye to the warranty... you might find it best to undo you're green light fix, and then try to get it fixed.

Reaction score
I'd honestly just take it to a genius bar and see what they say.

I've had batteries replaced there before even though applecare doesn't cover batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
If I upgrade the hard drive, the warranty is voided?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
hard drive & ram upgrades are ok...nothing else

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.