• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stream Direct TV , is this real or scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I keep seeing ads for Stream Direct TV, but cannot find any website I trust to review if it is a scam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I cannot find any proper reviews from any legit website either.

They list several best buy awards from sites that also don't seem to exist. They have flooded the net with positive reviews, but none of the main media have reviewed them.

A whois search says they are registered to Godaddy in January 2010 and have registered the domain for 1 year.

At best they are illegally re-streaming content, but for example, I cannot see what specific channels I could stream (BBC for example). I would avoid a 1 month old company offering a service you cannot get specific details about until a trusted source says they are legit.

Avoid for now

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This is the same old stuff that has been around for several years in a new outer package to draw in more suckers... err... users.

Reaction score
stream direct TV

I think it's a scam. I signed up for it, paid almost $ 50 for unlimited membership. Although it said it worked for Macs, the software I could download was an .exe file. When I contacted their help center, there was no reply.

All that was in January. At first, the login seemed to work—although it seemed to me that all I got were free peer-to-peer channels that I could have accessed in another way. Then I got ESPN 360, which I still seem to be able to get w/o logging in anywhere.

Today (March) I tried again, and after logging in, I got an error message that the site did not exist. So, I tried contacting their help center, which one can access—BUT once I filled out all the info, I got another error message: the connection timed out—probably because there is no help center.

I will now try to contact my credit card and see if I can get my money back and have the company checked out for fraud.

Please spread the word! Like the writer of the previous post, I could not find any legitimate review, but was stupid enough to try it anyway.

Reaction score
stream direct TV

Thanks Fedex44. I just went through the whole process starting out at their signup sight then entering direct tv in google. All posts had direct tv somewhere in the url and I was looking for an impartial review. deep into page 7 or so of the search I came here. I got that sinking feeling pretty quickly, that the site was not quite right. The card company should give you your money back, if they're still playing by the same rules.
Rafael

Reaction score
Its a scam. if it isnt coming from DTV itself, then you can bank on it being a scamola :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I agree with tsquez. If Direct TV isn't officially advertising it then it has to be a scam.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

I just got an e-mail offering this service. When I tried to check it out I found that the reviews seem to be planted by the company itself. I finally found this stream, and thanks to you all, probably saved myself $50 and who knows what other grief.

Reaction score
I found this on the website, it's the "fine print"

This service entitles you to access the location, evaluation, and or recommendation of software available from the web site and for the installation and technical support provided. www.streamdirect.tv does not host any videos or TV streams on our website. We provide an easier access to these streams which are otherwise freely available on the net. All channel names, content, and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. We are not affiliated and we do not claim to be affiliated with any of the owners or providers of videos and TV streams which are accessible through our website.
The Digital Video Recorder mentioned above is limited to a 30 day trial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yep the godaddy shite has been around and its a scam ....

A friend got caught out by them on another *make you rich* scheme . They never existed and they kept taking increasing amounts out of his Account. The only way for him to save face was too get a re issued credit card ...

Stay away from GoDaddy altogether

Cheers

Reaction score
The info on Stream Direct fulfilled my search for answers, but I wanted to comment on godaddy.com. When I used to build sites, I used godaddy for my domain name hosting. They also offer site hosting, but I used another host.

Is there something I do not know about this company, or is the point that it is a favorite registrar for scam sites?

C

chas_m

GoDaddy are obnoxious with upselling, their CEO is a creepy weirdo, and they do not care much about the company they keep, but they are a legitimate company. The streamdirect.tv is a scam for suckers, not GoDaddy.

Reaction score
Stay away

Having my share of "similar" programs, with great certainty I can tell that it is a scam. Site is usually collection of links to already free channels, mostly foreign. By the way, if you look in their description, In Europe they claim that Turkey has 479 channels and in Asia they list Turkey for 45 channels.
Having lived in Europe most of my life i can tell you that not one country has hundreds of channels.
Scam sites will never list channels, just genre: movies, sports etc. Only channels listed are US free on the air channels like ABC, NBC, CBS.
Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

Reaction score
Stream Direct

I did see in the video I posted a link about previously that HBO was available also some specialty channels. Just saying, I don't think I will buy it until I find out more.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Enough is enough of this scam software junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.