Broken CD Rom Drive

W

wjcros

Hey I have an i book loaded with OS 10 and i wanted to up grade to 10.3 but my cd rom drive is broken, will not recognize any cds at all. So i was wondering if it was possible to preform a network install on this from a PC? Thanks

OP
T

Tel

I'n not an expert on Macs (only been using them for a couple of weeks) but im pretty sure you me be able to connect another Mac via firewire and install 10.3 on the hard drive that way. I'm not sure on the details or even if it is definatly possible. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

OP
J

jeremyjones

I don't know how much you use the ibook but it might be worth buying an external CD Rom drive. Or you could even buy a external DVD burner that way you could use it on your other macs. We use all imaging where I work so we load the images over netboot and firewire dirve. So if you had an external hard drive and another mac you could build an image and load it on that way.

OP
W

wjcros

ok so after i get this external hard drive and another mac how do i build the image of 10.3....just install the os on the harddrive then how to copy that install from the external harddrive to the ibook hd?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.