Coming back

Reaction score
I am returning! I left the mac world in 1990 to start programming. I needed a wider base, more people had PC’s than macs – I HAVE SINNED!!!!

I bought a 286 (remember those) and my first impression of Windows 3.0 was “YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING!!”

Why would people choose to use these?

Anyway – I am ditching the pc after 20 years and returning. I think using my iPhone for the past two and a half years made me realize what a better environment Apple is.

TWO QUESTIONS – I am getting the 27 inch iMac should I…

#1 pay the extra $300 to get the 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 instead of the 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

#2 pay the extra $200 for 8 gigs instead of the 4 gigs that comes with it

I value your opinions - Lonnie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
If you can afford the extra for the i5, I would go with that. I debated the C2D and the i5, and figured that the quad core would be the best deal and help to future proof my purchase a bit. I can tell the difference between my old C2D 2.66 Ghz PC and the 2.66 GHz i5 in the iMac when doing 3d renders and also with the minimal gaming I do.

I would get the system with the default 4 GB of RAM. You will have two RAM slots open, and can get another 4GB from someplace like Crucial for less (Crucial has a 4GB kit for $119.00).

Erik

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you - refreshing - having quick to the point answers again!

Reminds me of my old Atari/Mac days! :D

If you can afford the extra for the i5, I would go with that. I debated the C2D and the i5, and figured that the quad core would be the best deal and help to future proof my purchase a bit. I can tell the difference between my old C2D 2.66 Ghz PC and the 2.66 GHz i5 in the iMac when doing 3d renders and also with the minimal gaming I do.

I would get the system with the default 4 GB of RAM. You will have two RAM slots open, and can get another 4GB from someplace like Crucial for less (Crucial has a 4GB kit for $119.00).

Erik

C

chas_m

Welcome back. A lot of PC developers are seeing enough of their audience "go Mac" to start developing for the Mac again (check my signature for an example!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.