OS 9 game (and CD-ROM!) problems

D

djmitch

I have some good ol' games that require Mac OS 6/7 and higher that I can't successfully install on my Mini that runs 10.4.1. Actually, I'm having trouble installing ANYTHING that needs OS 9 to run even though I've installed it on my Mini as well.

Back to the games: When I insert the CD-ROM for each game, the icon appears on my desktop but when I double-click to view the contents, I don't know how to install the game on my system. I'm used to Windows always bring up an install wizard or something. With Tiger, I just get a bunch of files appearing and when I use one of them to get the install process going, I get an error message or a dead-end.

I'm getting ticked off - what's the deal to installing things from CD onto my Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
djmitch said:
Ummm, exactly how will this solve the problems I'm having?
Well, it won't.

To install almost anything relating to OS 9 or earlier, you just need to drag and drop the files or folders from the CD to your HD. Now I have noticed that quite a few of the older games I have run poorly under Classic in OS X.
They run just fine under OS 9 natively, but you don't have that option with your Mini. Still, to install it you should only have to drag and drop from the CD, no "wizard" needed :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
but you don't have that option with your Mini

That's how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
D3v1L80Y said:
Well, it won't.

To install almost anything relating to OS 9 or earlier, you just need to drag and drop the files or folders from the CD to your HD. Now I have noticed that quite a few of the older games I have run poorly under Classic in OS X.
They run just fine under OS 9 natively, but you don't have that option with your Mini. Still, to install it you should only have to drag and drop from the CD, no "wizard" needed :black:

Quite a few OS 9 apps have installers (which Microsoft calls Install Wizards) that will install the app for you.

Some other apps will run directly from the CD; no installation is necessary. These tend to be older apps from the System 7 era, but back then many did work that way.

And...just ignore corysw, he seems to be having a bad day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
technologist said:
Quite a few OS 9 apps have installers (which Microsoft calls Install Wizards) that will install the app for you.
This is true, but all those installers do is copy the folders and files to the HD. You can bypass these installers and do the copying yourself. At least I have always been able to when I ran OS 9:black:

And just for the record corysw, a G5 can't run OS 9 natively either. ;)
In fact, its been a few years since Macs have been able to run OS 9 natively.

OP
D

djmitch

D3v1L80Y said:
Well, the drag-and-drop idea into my Applications folder didn't work for my two pre-OS 9 games, so I got the idea of just copying the CD contents onto the folder (before I saw your later post) and running each program from there - perfect! They also didn't run poorly in OS 9-mode. Thanks for the tip!

Now, if I could just get my Fuji FinePix Viewer to install ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
a G5 can't run OS 9 natively either

True, but the Classic envronment's performance will be a lot better on the G5 than on a Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.