Memory stick?

Reaction score
Just bought myself an 8gb memory stick... Formatted it as well.

I need to put some files on it (about 48MB in total), as soon as it gets to 2MB it freezes and this happens:

Picture7.png

Then about 30 seconds later I get:

Picture8.png

Any idea how to sort it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The answer for dialog box #1 (copy issue)...some of the items you're trying to copy may no be copyable or you don't have access to copy it. Try copying the files one at a time to see exactly which file is causing the problem.

The answer to the 2nd dialog box you received "Device Removal"...you need to drag the icon for the memory stick to the trash before removing it. Then you won't get the message.

The 3rd dialog box "Disk Insertion" could be related to the improper removal in #2.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, when I plug it in now it appears and then just disappears straight away. It doesn't even stay in disk utility now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Just bought myself an 8gb memory stick... Formatted it as well.

I need to put some files on it (about 48MB in total), as soon as it gets to 2MB it freezes and this happens:
What memory stick did you get? I believe most memory sticks are preformatted to work on both Mac and Windows. I've only used SanDisk Flash memory sticks myself and I have never had to format them. How did you format your stick? I have read there have been some problems when users formatted the memory sticks themselves. I guess it depends on how to you formatted it.

OP
P
Reaction score
"i.t. works"

It said it was preformatted but it wasn't working... I read online that the solution was to format it as MS DOS through disk utility. So I did that. And now it's even more broke...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It said it was preformatted but it wasn't working... I read online that the solution was to format it as MS DOS through disk utility.
That's the problem I've been reading about with other people. It seems there is a problem when formatting to FAT in Mac for memory sticks. I've read that the solution is to format it to FAT using Windows. This is all second hand information so take it for what it's worth. Like I said I've always had mine working right from the start so I've never dealt with this personally.

Since you have nothing to lose and if you don't need it work on Windows then you can try formatting the stick to Mac's format and see if you can use it then. If nothing works for you then try returning it and getting a different brand. SanDisks have always worked for me and I use it both on Mac and Windows somewhat regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Since the guy tried to format it as a Windows read format, I'd be willing to bet he doesn't know how to format it to FAT. (Do it in Disk Utility, but we're beyond that point of the problem now).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
EndlessMac is correct. Never format a memory stick that is to be used for both OS X and Windows, using Disk Utility. Because Disk Utility creates a small 200 MB partition ahead of the main formatted partition on the memory stick. Windows can not read past the first 200 MB.

To the OP: Re-format the memory stick to FAT-32 using a utility that will be able to "see" the entire 8 GB. Disk Manager in Windows should be able to remove the small 200 MB partition and then format the entire 8 GB. If that doesn't work, you'll need to use something like GParted from Linux to do it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.